Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stepper motor /Labwindows 5.5 /PCI DIO 96

Hi all,

How can I make a software with LabWibdows 5.5 and PCI-DIO-96 to command stepper motor (360step/360°, with 4 rotation/s) ?, the second part driver and a choice of the motor is not up to me.

the choice of the signals is up to me :

1. cw and ccw
2. pulse and direction.

wich method is best ?
Any exemple with CVI is welcome ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,258 Views)
The PCI-DIO-96 doesn't support hardware timed digital I/O. That means that the timing is determined by software only which is a) non-deterministic (on a non real-time OS like Windows) and b) slow. For your application you will need a stable frequency of 1440 Hz which can't be accomplished with the DIO-96.
You might be able to reach this frequency in software but there will be a high amount of jitter so your motor will loose steps or it won't move at all.

Controlling a motor is much easier by using a motion control board (e. g. the PCI-7332). These boards take care of all real-time tasks onboard and it's much simpler to command the motor. E. g. for a straight line move you just need to load parameters for acceleration, velocity and target position. Then you send the start command to the motor and the rest is done by the board.

A motion control board might be slightly more expensive than a multifunction DAQ or DIO device but the price difference pays off quickly by saving a lot of time when developing the application.

Best regards,

Jochen Klier
National Instruments Germany

Message Edited by Jochen on 07-31-2006 02:48 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,246 Views)

thank you,

I guess is the same trouble if I wanna use DAQCARD DIO 24 ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,241 Views)
Yes, it's the same situation. For very simple motion control applications you might use a board with counter/timers (e. g. an M-Series board or a PCI-6601) to generate a hardware timed pulse train but this will only work properly as long as you don't need frequency ramps to accelerate/decelerate your move which is typically required with stepper motors.

Jochen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,237 Views)
ok,

I am going to use CAN too, I have a PCI CAN /DS  (PORT1 HS - PORT2 LS), I will use some DIO.

so NI PCI-7332 + PCI CAN  +PCI DIO = 3 card at least.

Can i manage all these cards on the same PC (windows 2000) ? (witout problem of RealTime)

Best Regards
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,233 Views)
At NI we do lots of interoperability testing with our drivers to guarantee trouble-free coexistence. E. g. on my PC NI-CAN, NI-Motion, NI-DAQ and several other NI drivers run simultaneously and don't cause any issues (see screenshot below).

Best regards,

Jochen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,230 Views)

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,222 Views)

Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the right place for asking this question or not and if not, then please guide me to the right place for asking such question. Thanks.

I have a stepper motor with the Vector Network Analyzer Anritsu MS4623B. I got it up and running with the LabWindows/CVI. I need to sync the motion of the stepper motor with my data acquisition. Basically, I have to acquire the data in a way that in the start the motor will come back to home position wherever it was on the ball-screw linear positioning system and then I want to move it to the specific position to do the measurements (For Example, I want to measure the 40 GHz channel between 1m to 3m movement of a stepper motor on a linear positioning system (ball-screw)). I've interfaced the VNA with the PC using LabWindows/CVI and I've controlled the clockwise and anti-clockwise movements of the stepper motor using LabWindows/CVI but I'm unable to sync the system in a way that whenever I run the code, the motor will run back to the home position and then move to a specific measurement start position and move till the end position and in between do the increment and stop and acquire the data. Is there any one to help me please? It's really urgent please and I'm doing this thing first time so please guide me in a proper way. I shall really apprecaite that and will be highly obliged with you. Thanks for your time and concern.

Thanks and Regards.

:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,146 Views)