Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci-7332 board execution is slow

Solved!
Go to solution

Using a PCI-7332 board in a Win7 pc and it runs slow.  By slow I mean what is specified in the NI 7330 and the NI 7340 Timing information sheet states that my while loop should be running at a 10ms rate.  Its running in a 125ms rate.

Please see the screen shot of the vi below.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,650 Views)

How are you timing the loop iterations?  Are you using tick counts?  Have you tried to benchmark the individual subVIs you are calling?  Does disabling portions of the diagram decrease the execution rate by much?  

Regards,
Isaac S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,636 Views)

Did time study.  Improved performance by disabling background applications tied to the computer and placing sub vi's not needed inside loop outside.  Return time on the 2 sub vi's are bout 2ms per iteration so for 100 samples gives me roughly 300ms per.  Can that be improved with a real time system?  What can you recommend?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,622 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dg_lbe

I don't believe there would be a significant improvement by moving to an RT system.  It's true that there is less overhead processing in comparison to a pc, however the algorithms are the same.  An RT system would only be more useful if you were more interested in more deterministic control.  You would use an RT system if you wanted the iterations to be 'on time' not necessarily faster.

Regards,
Isaac S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(5,598 Views)