Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motion control using LabView

Hi, I am new to LabView and I need to control a linear positioning system using Labview. I have 2 stepper motors with 1.9 amps from Superior Elevtric Inc, 2 MD125 microstepdrives from Oregon Microsystems Inc and a USB DIO96H/50 USB computer interface from Measurement Computing. I would like to know how to start with the coding for the control of the system using Labview. It would also be helpful if I can get some examples and reference realted to this.

Thanks,

Bharath

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(5,395 Views)

Hi Bharath,

Could you provide additional information on your application?  What are you trying to do with your stepper motors?  Following is some very general information on stepper motors and LabVIEW:

The following link describes different types of motors, including stepper motors, and has several links to related information

Motor Fundamentals:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3656/en/

The following link has general information on motion control:

Fundamentals of Motion Control

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3367/en/

The following link describes a specific setup for a stepper motor control in LabVIEW:

Drive Stepper Using Digital output with Pulse sequence

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Digital-I-O/Drive-Stepper-Using-Digital-output-with-Pulse-sequence/td-p/6837...

These should provide enough general information to get started. 

Thanks

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(5,345 Views)

Hi Andrew,

With the stepper motor I and labview code, I need to control the linear XY positioning system. I am using Measurement Computing USB - DIO96H/50 for data acquasition. 

Thanks,

Bharath J S 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(5,330 Views)

Could you provide some more detailed information about the linear positioning system you are using?

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(5,312 Views)

I just need to run the stepper motors to operate the linear positioning system. 

I have PCIe 6321 card and SCB 68 connector block. SO will the PCIe 6321 work as a 2 axis motion controller ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(5,295 Views)

The positioning system is jusn an XY table

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(5,292 Views)

The stepper motors should just need a PWM signal which you can source from your digital I/O lines, so your PCIe 6321 should work.  The Fundamentals of Motor Control document I sent you should have most of the information you need to get going.  There is a link on that page to "Controlling an X-Y stage with a joystick which should be helpful to your application, you will just need to replace the joystick with your intended mode of control.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(5,272 Views)

I am not intended to move it with joystick. I have MD125 driver from Oregon Microsystems Inc for the step and direction control and can I connect it directly to scc - 68 connector block ?

Thanks,

Bharath J S

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(5,270 Views)

The drive should interface directly with the SCB-68.  However, the drive can operate up to 80V. The SCB-68 is rated for 42 Vpk/60 VDC, so make sure you don't connect anything to it greater than that.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(5,217 Views)

Andrew,

Now I have changed my setup. I have connected my stepper motor directly to the usb via serial connection. Can I get an example VI to run the motor ?

Thanks,

Bharath J S

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(5,198 Views)