Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use UMI7774 to control motor

Hi I really need help here...

I am using PCI7344 and UMI7774 to do simple control of a motor to make certain movements.

Right now I have completed the wiring of feedback from motor encoder and managed to see encoder readings in MAX.

But when it comes to the analog output from UMI7774, i can't measure any signal from there while i am sending commands from MAX, hence my motor can never be driven to move.

Below are some of the information of the components that I use: motor:ElectroCraft S240-1A8

motor amplifier: Advaned motion control 12A8E

I tried connecting voltage into REF+ and REF- of the motor amplifier, and the amplifier make the motor moved. The larger the input voltage, the faster the motor spined. The same if I switched the polarity, only direction of movements changed. So there was no problem with motor ot motor amplifier.

Here I got two majot problems to be solved:

1. why there is no analog output from the UMI7774 board even though I sent command from MAX?

2. if I want to wire up the UMI7774 and motor, i connect "Analog output"(pin #1) and "Analog output GND"(pin #9) from UMI7774 to the amplifier REF+ and REF- respectively right? is there any other connection that is necessary?(I have attached the datashee for my motor amplifier so that you can take a look and help me out)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,392 Views)

I have not used MAX for a while now but I remember there are some basic settings. One setting is for setting the board to drive servo or stepper motors, make sure you selected the right item in this menu. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,376 Views)

I did set that part as "servo motor". One thing to be added on, when I use labview DAQ assistant to creat some Analog Waveform and test the analog output pin at UMI7774, but Labview just tells me that "no device available".

It is wierd because I can see PCI7344 in my MAX, and through connecting feedback from motor encoder to UMI7774(which is again connected to PCI 7344 using motion I/O), I can see the readings of motor speed and position in MAX.

Wierd, isn't it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,364 Views)