Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controling bipolar stepper motors with usb NI-6008 DAC

Solved!
Go to solution
hi i need help to get an example vi that explaining how to control two bipolar stepper motors using USB NI-Data acquisition card 6008, i have the drivers of the motors, could any body help me?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(14,406 Views)

Hello sheekooo,

The digital input/output on the USB-6008 is software timed, so it will only change values when you call the digital write function in your program.  Typically, to drive something like a motor, you would want to use a counter to generate a pulse train to do so.  This is much more tightly timed and can output higher frequencies.  Unfortunately, with the USB-6008, the on-board counter is a simple event counter, and you cannot generate an external output signal from this counter. However, if you do have a different DAQ board with counter output, you can control the motor position relatively easily. Hope this helps

Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30
(14,387 Views)

thanks for your reply, but the frequency doesn't matter now with my project, i could use the digital ip/op. i want an example vi explaining how to control bipolar stepper motor.

could you help me please, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(14,375 Views)

As Andy mentioned, the control of signals being sent through the digital I/O on the USB-6008 is completely in software. We do not have any shipping examples that cater to using the USB-6008 for motion control. I would definitely recommend getting our motion-specific hardware or a DAQ device that is capable of hardware timing the digital output.

If you want to configure digital I/O tasks in DAQmx to output signals to your stepper motor, you could get started by looking at our digital pulse train examples that are shipped with LabVIEW. If you have any specific questions on setting up your DAQ program, please post this in the corresponding discussion forum board. I hope this helps.

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(14,353 Views)
Hi did you ever get the examples? I am also in the same situation as you. I have 2 weeks to finish this. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(14,039 Views)
yeah  i finally got to the solution.. tell me your problem exactly and i'll try to help you ..
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(14,036 Views)
Well I have never ever used labview. I have a bipolar stepper motor, the driver and I am want to control the motor with usb 6008. I am trying to find examples online and I cant find any. I have no idea how to start. Please help me with whatever information you could provide. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(14,030 Views)

well first you have to know the sequence you would send to the driver .. i recommend BAL-35 it's very easy driver.

the second point install NI-DAQmx, and when you are ready send me the sequence of your driver, and i'll help you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(14,021 Views)

Thank you for all of your help. I am new to this and I appreciate a helping hand. Please find in the following attachments the manual for the driver that was suggested by the company where we bought the motor and the info about the motor. Again thanks so much!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30
(13,971 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sheekooo

you are more than welcome .. ok i attached a vi that could help you .. i'll illustrate how to connect your driver to your usb data acquisition card.

1-on the digital I/P O/P side of the DAQ there's a 5V pin, connect it to the both 5V pins (Pulse and Direction) of the driver.

2- the other 2 pins (Pul- and Dir-) connect it to port0/line0  for Pul-  ,  and port0/ line1 for Dir-.  ( you can configure the ports as u like from the block diagram window of the vi ).

3- let the enable pins without connection. ( it's normally enabled).

for motor connection: (dont connect any of these pins to the DAQ)

there are 6 pins.

first you need to know the wires of the motor coils, you could test it with any AVO meter.

1- the first pin connected to the ground of the battery.

2- the second pin to the positive pole of the battery.

3,4 the first coil.

5,6 the second coil.

try it and i hope i helped you, tell me if it worked.

Message 10 of 30
(13,967 Views)