cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cnc mach3

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

My Name is Siya. Im using a CNC mach3 breakout board to control a 3 axis gantry system. the actuation is via stepper motors with gecko drives . I want to  take readings from an LVDT sensor via DAQ card ( NI MyDAQ) at the begining of each run. Does anyone know how mach3 can communicate with the NI DAQ card?.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,067 Views)

Hi Siya,

What is the voltage range of the AC signal coming of LVDT sensor? MyDAQ supports Analog Input in the range of +/-10V. If your signal is in that range you can connect it to an analog input (e.g. AI0) on myDAQ. Is the LVDT sensor signal coming off from the breakout board or directly off the sensor? What is the model number of the CNC mach3 breakout board you are using?

Here is also a good example to get you started with reading your analog input on your DAQ device:

myDAQ tutorial: Equipment Check -- Analog Output (AO0, AO1) and Analog Input (AI0, AI1)

Mikhail
RF Toolkits, Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,056 Views)

Hi Mikhail

The output voltage range ot the LVDT sensor is 0-10v DC.  The model number for the Breakout board is:SW-IB-USB3.

The LVDT sensor requires an input voltage of 14-24V DC therefore I can use the 15V dc supply from MyDAQ.

I woulk like to know if the is a way that mach3 can talk to labview ( or labview to mach3) so that voltage readings can be taken at specific locations.

My objective is to develop a  profile measuring system capable of measuring the profile of a tank dish-end.

The system must produce a 3D drawing  of the dish end. I would like to know if labview would be capable of producing the 3D drawing ?

Regards

Siya

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,052 Views)

Hi

Model number: SW-IB-USB3

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,049 Views)

Hi Siya,

To answer, your question, mach3 breakout board can talk to LabVIEW through myDAQ. You just have to make sure that you wire the appropriate outputs from your mach3 breakout board to the inputs of myDAQ, and then read those inputs in LabVIEW. You can also generate signals in LabVIEW and send those to myDAQ outputs and then connect those outputs to your mach3 board inputs.

What kind of signal (analog/digital, amplitude, frequency) do you want to acquire from your mach3 board with myDAQ?

Now, you can import some of the 3D-model file extensions (e.g. STL, VRML) into LabVIEW, however LabVIEW drawing abilities are quite limited.

Here are some useful articles and examples on this subject:

Create Advanced User Interfaces with OpenGL Based 3D Visualization

how to import a 3d model in LabVIEW

Change Color and Properties of Imported STL File - 3D Picture Control

Mikhail
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,035 Views)

Hi Mikhail

Thank you for the advise .

I want to aquire a digital Signal.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,001 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Siyabonga

Hi Siya,

To connect a digital signal to myDAQ you can use any of the 8 digital I/O terminals on the device. Refer to the myDAQ user manual for more information. You will need to wire a digital output from a cnc mach3 board to one of the digital inputs on myDAQ. Once the wiring is done, you can read your digital signal in LabVIEW. To learn how to read digital signal in LabVIEW, refer to the following links:

Introduction to LabVIEW with myDAQ: Digital Inputs

myDAQ tutorial: NI ELVISmx Digital Reader (DigIn)

Mikhail
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,987 Views)