From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

breakpoint max modulus only (2^14-1) not (2^15-1) as per references

Hi,

I'm using a PXI-7352 and am happily doing periodic breakpoints using C code, but when I tried to use a larger bp modulus (flec_load_bp_modulus), I get an invalid value error for any modulus value larger than 16383 ... which  == 2^14 - 1.  But the references state that the max modulus should be 2^15 - 1 (= 32767).

This is a bit limiting for my application as I want to use bp modulus of up to 70mm, and my encoder gives 400 cts per mm - so I need a bp modulus of 28,000.

Is this a bug, or documentation typo or what?

Regards

Richard.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,387 Views)

Hi RikNZ,

What is the error code you’re receiving? Also, what is the data representation of the variable being fed into flex_load_bp_modulus?

It’s likely you’ve see it, but below I’ve provided the NI-Motion manual.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371242b.pdf

On page 168 there is a Periodic Breakpoint example in C code. I hope this helps!

- Kale

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,369 Views)

Hi Kale,

below is a segment of my code, and the error message I get.

The bp modulus (nbp) is an unsigned long - which is the same as the "u32" type the fcn expects.

The fcn flex_load_bp_modulus works fine with a bp modulus less that 16384, otherwise it fails with error -70078.

From numcBasicTypes.h:

typedef unsigned long u32

2015-09-08 09_19_37-bp_modulus_error.rtf [Compatibility Mode] - Microsoft Word.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,279 Views)

Hi RikNZ,

Thank you for the screen shot and information. Are you able to run one of the NI Motion C examples such as Periodic Breakpoint Output.c? These example can be located in NI-Motion >> Documentation >> Examples >> NI-Motion Help >> C (file location varies depending where it's been installed but for me it was C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-Motion\Documentation\Examples\NI-Motion Help\C).

Please let me know if you're able to run one of these examples with the value set above (2^14)-1.

- Kale

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,253 Views)

Hi Kale,

I ran the example Periodic Breakpoint Output.c, but put a loop around the entering and setting the bp modulus so I could try several values.

Here is the output from 1 example.  I tried another where I entered five bp modulus values, and the fifth was 16384 - where it gave the same error as seen below.

The upper acceptable bp modulus valus is definately 16383, not 32767 as the documentation states.

Will the code be corrected?

2015-10-27 16_35_16_NI BP Example.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,047 Views)

Hi RikNZ,

If you run the example without putting it in a loop does it run properly? If I understand correctly you were able to run it with 16383, but any number greater causes the error. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. I'll file a Corrective Action Request, but I cannot guarantee a timeline for a fix.

- Kale

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,013 Views)