Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variate velocity according to position

Hi all,

I'm now using PCI7330 with P70530 to control the stepper motor CTP10XXX10.

My goal is to let the motor run at certain speed as a function of its current position. Is this possible to read (position) from and write (velocity) to the drive at the same time?

Thanks,

-chen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,877 Views)

I think I need a servo motor...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,875 Views)

What leads you to believe you need a servo?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,836 Views)

Sorry for the double post, but I was also wondering if you have an encoder on the stepper, or are you just wanting to rely on it's positional feedback?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,834 Views)
Christopher, many thanks for your reply. Yes, I just need to ensure the position is correct.
Do you think a real time module is necessary here? Cause 7330 seems can only output trapezoid shaped wave form for velocity, i.e. before the motor stops, I can not do anything to it. Or do you have any other suggestion? Please help, thank you again.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,825 Views)

Sorry, I forgot to mention I will buy one with encoder...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,818 Views)

I'm still looking in to this, but in the interim you might check out the joystick example (joystage.vi) located in the example finder. I believe it accomplishes something similar to what you are after.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,800 Views)

@OlliesCamel wrote:

I'm still looking in to this, but in the interim you might check out the joystick example (joystage.vi) located in the example finder. I believe it accomplishes something similar to what you are after.

Christopher, thanks again for your time.

You may see the subvi called "Start Motion.flx" with a green trangle as its icon.

Once it's running, the motor will start to run, during which time I can not do anything to the motor.

Modification of it seems nontrivial to me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,794 Views)

If you are wanting to base your velocity on absolute position, it sounds as though a countour move might be ideal for what you are trying to accomplish. More on that here: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371093K-01/mclvhowto/movecontourinfo/

This tool automatically creates a spline for you, blending a series of pre-determined moves in to one smooth, continuous operation. Does that sound like something that would resolve your issue?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,723 Views)
Thanks Christopher, I was thinking about that, but contour move is not what PCI 7330 can do. I am looking for other modules now.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,717 Views)