Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PCI-6040E to read an incremental optical encoder

Greetings,

I have been brought on to a project that needs some help.  We are using some older hardware that nobody understands.  To start we have a NI PCI-6040E card with an SBC-68 board, we have a BEI XH25 incremental optical encoder that we are using to trying and read angular position.  The project manager told me he bought the 6040E card  because it is "plug and play" compatible with the encoder, i have found nothing to support his claim.  I this is my first project with an encoder and I'm trying to find an alternate way to read angular position. 

Thank you in advance for any help you my be able to provide.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,157 Views)

I looked into the PCI-6040E and while it is easily interfacable for a number of measurements, Angular Position is not one of them. For that, the encoder would have to have a digital output and the DAQ would have to be able to take a Counter Input - specifically for Position >> Angular Position.

This example would be a good way to check if it is plug and play, but when simulating the PCI-6040E and running it, that form of measurement is not support.

http://www.ni.com/example/26721/en/

Has this card been used with this encoder or any encoder to find angular position before?

Mathew H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,132 Views)