Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB DAQ keeps disconnecting while ramping up the motor or welding conducted in thwe workshop

I am using multifunction DAQ X series USB. In the workshop, when welding is conducted the DAQ keeps disconnecting. Also, as I am using this DAQ to give RPM setpoint to a motor drive (controlling a 3-phase AC motor/genrator and converting its output to DC) , when the motor ramps up with the acceleration of 5 kRPM/s, the same disconnection happens. When the acceleration is set at lower values, say 1 kRPM/s, this problem does not occur. I think this might be due to an impluse going through the ground since both DAQ and the drive are grounded to the test rig and IO's on the DQA are connected in RSE configuration. Is there anyway to isolate the DAQ ground for example putting a capacitor (series with a small resistance or without it albeit not healthy!) between the DAQ ground wire and the test rig?  If the solution involves connecting them in differential configuration I would run out of the terminals.

I have posted this question under Multifunction DAQ hardware as well. I do not know which forum this issue is more related to and apologize if poosting the same qustion twice is not regarded as a good practice in NI forums. I will delete one of them the moment I recieve meaningful response from the other one.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,429 Views)

We had a similiar problem with another USB Device. When a pump was turning on nearby; the USB connection would fail.

After installing ferrite beads on the USB cable (both ends), the problem went away.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-fh0-500b.html

Message 2 of 2
(4,209 Views)