Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UMI 7764 second axis not working

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a strange problem with my NI motion control setup and I wondered if anyone could help me.

I have the following setup:

PCI-7330 connected to a UMI-7764

Connected to the UMI-7764 I have two P70530 stepper drives, themselves connected to two Nema-23 stepper motors with shaft encoders wired back to the UMI-7764. All following the manual.

The 'Inhibit Input' switch is set to active high and the 'Inhibit output' switch is set to active low.

Both P70530 drives initialise (solid green LED). The stepper drive and motor connected via the 'Axis 1' terminals of the UMI-7764 works fine. The second one, connected via the 'Axis 2' terminals does not. When I attempt to start a motion via MAX, the motor audibly "clicks" once and then disengages. The drive then has a flashing green LED.

The motor will remain disengaged until I attempt a motion in the opposite direction, at which point the same "click" is heard and the motor is now engaged. No motion other than the vibration caused by the motor engaging/disengaging occurs.

Both drives and encoders are wired identically into the UMI. I have switched the cables with the drive that works, as well as the drives themselves and even the motors. The result is always the same; the drive/motor wired to 'Axis 1' works fine and 'Axis 2' "clicks" but doesn't move.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone can provide, please.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,344 Views)

A bit more information in case anyone can help me:

Repeating the attempted motions in MAX for each axis I probed the poles of the UMI connected to the stepper drive. The results are below.

UMI_7764_voltages.png

The Inhibit Input of Axis 2 seems to be always at 5V.

The 'Inhibit Input' switch on the UMI is set to active high and the 'Inhibit output' switch is set to active low. I would have expected, therefore, that reversing these switches would make Axis 1 stop working and Axis 2 start working. However, when I did this Axis 1 stopped working but Axis 2 continued the same behaviour (i.e. any attempted motion causes the motor to "click" and then disengage).

I also attempted to reverse the Inhibit Input action via MAX, but the option is greyed out.

Is there any reason why Axis 2 would be forced into having Inhibit Input at 5V? And, more to the point, is there a setting to stop it happening, or is this a hardware failure?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,312 Views)

Just to update this:

Replacing the UMI makes no difference to the problem.

It seems to me that there is some configuration screen or option that I am missing here. All of the hardware has either been replaced or confirmed to be working. Both drives and motors function on every cable configuration, as long as they are on Axis 1. I've been through the manual a dozen times and been through every combination of DIP switches on the stepper drives.

Does anyone have any experience in configuring multiple axis systems using the above configuration?

Does anyone know of a repository for configuration files for initialising the PCI7330 control board?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,272 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sinkovich

After tracing back through all the wiring, again, I eventually ended up checking the pinouts on the P70530 drive - > UMI 7764 cable.

Turns out I had the wrong cable on the second axis. Part number 198151-2R5 instead of 198141-2R5. They are identical DSUB connectors but have different pinouts. After mapping the pins to the correct UMI screw terminals the 2nd axis now works.

Message 4 of 4
(4,257 Views)