Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torque Control Mode Enable (Dynamixel MX-64)

Hello!!

I am working on a project in which I need to control the torque of the Dynamixel (MX-64). From the datasheet I read that to control the torque we need to set the Torque Control Mode Enable to 1. But by doing so we can only control the goal torque value and not control the position or the moving speed and the dynamixel behaves like it is in the wheel mode. I am using Labview to design the entire project. In Labview I can see that to control the position we can use the "Move Motor" block. But is there any block in Labview where we can use it to generate a torque signal to the motor? Also, I was not successful in finding any tutorials related to torque control in dynamixel. Is there any tutorials available where I can take help from in succeding in my project?

Regards

Lowell Pinto

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,756 Views)

Hi Lowell,

What driver are you using to control the motor?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,732 Views)

Hi,

I have attached the driver I am using. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,701 Views)

As a disclaimer, I have never used this driver or Dynamixel servos before. Hopefully someone else will respond that has experience with this. Looking through the driver, I couldn't find any higher level VIs that can be used to send torque commands. This is probably because the driver is designed to be used with other Dynamixel models ( DX-113, DX-117, RX-10, RX-28, RX-64) which do not support Torque mode like the MX-64 does. However, you should be able to use the low levels VIs to send commands to the torque mode enable and goal addresses. The lower lever VIs are located in the Dynamixel Motor>>Public>>Motor Operation>>Low Level folder. These lower level VIs basically take parameters such as address, motor ID, and parameters and package it in a serial byte string to be sent to the motor using a VISA Write VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,696 Views)