Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize AI and Motion Position

Is there a way to synchronize motion data (PCI-7344) with AI data? I was hoping that I could capture the position by RTSI to a spare AI channel, but it appears that the position capture functions store the data internally.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,609 Views)

I don't believe I completely understand your application. Can you clarify what kind of data you would like to transfer to the DAQ board and why?

NI Motion boards are able to transfer a lot of data through RTSI cables. You can read about it here: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372134F-01/ni-motion_help/real_time_system_integration_bus_r...

Also, it may be better to approach the problem using breakpoints and captures. A breakpoint is a tool that will output a signal (often a puls) whenever the motion reaches a user-defined set of positions or conditions. Capture is a tool that will configure the motion system to save position data to memory whenever a trigger occurs.

Jeremy P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,578 Views)

I would like to capture motor position synchronized with my AI DAQmx data. The AI DAQmx data is supposed to be proportional to the motor position, so having them synchronized would allow me to create a pass band for my AI data.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,574 Views)

If I understand you correctly, you would like to read the position of the motor whenever the AI collects a sample. Is that correct? If so, what you are describing is a motion capture with a trigger routed through the RTSI cable. To would need to configure your DAQ system to output the sample clock through the RTSI cable to the motion controller. The motion controller would then need to be configured to 

It could be that you want to work in the opposite direction: to set up the system to collect an AI sample when the motion reaches certain positions. You can set this up by creating a set of breakpoints in the motion system. Whenever the motion system reaches these points it will output a trigger pulse through the RTSI cable to the AI. These pulses would then be used as the sample clock for the AI.

This White Paper describes how you would program your system in LabVIEW to perform the capture or breakpoints: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3522/en/

Jeremy P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,487 Views)