From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software enable for Kollmorgen AKD using LabVIEW

Hey all, I'm relatively new to motion control, and feel like I must be missing something...

I have a PXI chassis with a 7350 card connected to a Kollmorgen AKD as described in the Getting Started guide.  I can get the system to move through MAX, and I can enable the hardware through the LabVIEW Enable Axes.flx vi from the NI 73xx palette.  But, I haven't found any way to do a software enable from LabVIEW... it only works through the Kollmorgen software.

Is there a way to do the software enable from LabVIEW?  I haven't found anything in my searches so far.

Thanks,

Joe Z.
(trying to quit LabVIEW, I swear)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,270 Views)

The only way to software enable the drive from LabVIEW is via a digital bus (EtherCAT, Modbus, etc). In general, you only want to use either the hardware enable OR the software enable, not both. In your situation, you should be using the hardware enable and you should use Kollmorgen WorkBench to set the drive to be software enabled at startup (on the Enable/Disable menu).

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,254 Views)

Hey Paul, thanks for the reply.

As a follow up... when I call the Initialize Controller.flx vi and SW and HW are already enabled, the vi disables the SW flag and I end up using the Kollmorgen software to re-enable it.

Is there a flag I need to check before I attempt to initialize?

Thanks,

Joe Z.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,223 Views)

Hi Joe,

Do you have an EtherCAT AKD drive that you are using in analog mode? If so, try setting the parameter FBUS.PARAM05 to be 4 and then save the setting to the drive.

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
(6,208 Views)

Hi Paul, just wanted to say thanks, that got it sorted out.  I'd never have found that on my own.

Joe Z.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,128 Views)