Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 2 stepper motors with LabVIEW using RMV ST400-NT controller and driver

Hello, I am new to programming as well as motors in general so please bare with me in my attempt to explain myself. I have a project involving laser therapy and I am attempting to control two stepper motors from Falhauber, Type AM2224-R3-AV-4.8. I will be using a RMV ST400-NT controller and driver. Original plan was to use 3 stepper motors for control in 3 axis but realized 2 axis is complicated enough. My power source is an Agilent E3630A. I am new to this whole thing and from what I have read form examples and other posts is that NI drivers seem to work best for these applications. I've written simple programs from examples, reading and watching videos. I want to know whether it's possible for these to work together using LabVIEW and also a nudge to help me get started would be much appreciated. Can someone please help guide me in the right direction, I feel a bit lost when it comes to all this. Thank you for your time and consideration.  Also, I will be using Windows 8 laptop with Labview 8.5. I have attached pics of components I will be using.

Justo T.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,015 Views)

Hi jtarula,

I want to preface this response by saying that I am mre familiar with NI controller and driver rather than the one that you have. I am assuming that you are using the dll provided by the manufacturer here:
http://www.rmv.com/download.htm

With these, you should be able to interface with LabVIEW using the call library function node. What the controller is capable I am uncertain of. I am certain that you should be able to since another user has commented on the use in LabVIEW before in another forum post.

I also want to let you know that LabVIEW 8.5 is not supported on Windows 8, which means that you may run into some compatibility issues. Here is the compatibility chart.

Paolo F.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,969 Views)

Hello FuManWho,

Thanks for your reply! You got me started up and moving in a positive direction, however, I think I am having some compatibility issues getting it to work together. I am going to tinker with the program for a few days and will post back with updates and questions. Thank you again for your help I truly do apreciate it. 

Justo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,954 Views)

Ok, after a few days and several hours reading through examples and other posts I feel even more confused. I have been able to call the dll files associated with my controller and driver and have attempted many different things all of which seem to get me nowhere. I have a simple question, am I supposed to compile one vi for the port access and one for the actual operation of the motors or is it more complicated than that? Also, should I build one main vi using several sub vis or do I use the call library function node to access the various vis? I apologize if this doesn't make sense, as you can see I am new to computers in general including the lingo so please bare with me, this whole process has been extremely tough on me. Thanks again for your support, I greatly appreciate any and all advice that I receive. 

Justo T

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,780 Views)

Also, I have upgraded to LabVIEW 2013 and when I attempt to use the call library funtion node it says the library is not valid because I'm running 64-bit LabVIEW and the library is 32-bit. Should I revert back to 8.5 or would you suggest using an older OS woul be best?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,779 Views)

Hi jtarula,

You do not need to downgrade LabVIEW versions. You can just download the 32-bit version of LabVIEW. 32-bit LabVIEW can be used on a 64-bit machine. Again, I want to state that I am unfamiliar with that dll and how to use it correctly, so I cannot help that much there.

Paolo F.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,753 Views)

Hello FuManWho,

Ok sounds good, I just did that and I'm able to import the dll files library into the 32-bit LabVIEW again. Thank you for the help I really do appreciate it. If anyone else has any input on what I can do or give me a nudge in the right direction I will be much obliged. Thanks again FuManWho for your help and thanks for any and all advice.

Justo T.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,750 Views)

Hello, 

I've tried setting things up a few different ways but am getting confused when it comes to wiring up sub vi's or if I even have the right ones togehter. Does anyone have any insight or link that can get me going in the right direction. I am new to programming but I feel I learn rather quickly so any links or examples that are relevant to my project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Justo T.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,704 Views)