From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic arm with kinect

Hi,

I'm using a vi to track spatial parameter of the hand with a kinect and it works very well. I am also able to control a robotic arm with 6 servos manuually. I would like to use the data form the kinect to act on a 6 motor robotic arm. Is their a way to use x,y,z coordonate and translate it to a pwm level to control my 6 servos ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,183 Views)

Before we go too deep I have a few questions:

Are you wanting real-time response? (i.e. tracking the hand)

Do you want to send it (x,y,z) set points, or are you calculating velocity and/or acceleration?

What type of motor drives are you using?

How are you currently generating the PWM signal?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,165 Views)

Are you wanting real-time response? (i.e. tracking the hand)

Kind of but not mandatory since it's for demonstration purposes.

Do you want to send it (x,y,z) set points, or are you calculating velocity and/or acceleration?

I dont need acceleration and velocity since i have the x,y and z in almost real time. I just want to translate those value to act on 6 motors robotic arm and follow the coordonate.

What type of motor drives are you using?

Motor are servo controlled with pwm but there's an interface board that manage that part and i just need to have the number of degrees of each servo and send it in a uart frame.

How are you currently generating the PWM signal?

Interface board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robot-Arm-Clamp-Set-6-DOF-Robotics-Arm-with-claw-With-Servo-Arduino-from-USA...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,157 Views)

I found the following white paper that might get you started in the right direction, but I haven't reviewed it in detail: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10687/en/

If the whitepaper doesn't address your needs, we do offer a robotics module for LabVIEW. It is likely overkill for your application, but if you are interested it can be found here: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209856

Finally, you could also calculate all the inverse kinematics yourself but that would be incredibly non-trivial task.

On a side note, are you using the original Kinect 360 or the new Kinect One?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,115 Views)

I red a lot about inverse kinematic and that is exactly what i needed. Thank you very much for your support.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,042 Views)

Hello,

I'm also studying the inverse control in robotic arm, for NI example, they are used the component of puma560 as core to connection with others, but I'm not sure how to set the other parameter (ex. the weight, altitude of robotic arm) which is meant how I could change puma 560 to some size i'd like have and become to my robotic arm

Thank you for help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,991 Views)

I imagine those parameters would be somehow used in the vi's I previously linked. I can answer any specific questions you may have about it, but unfortunately it's official support is limited to the extent of what is written in the whitepaper.

That being said, maybe some community members could chime in if they have experience with it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,972 Views)

I found a couple of example for the inverse kinematic. How can we create the model that we want to simulate. I have a 6 servo convention robotic arm. I also found a descirption about the vi initialize serial arm that seems interesting. Any help?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,484 Views)

Hi there,

It may be beneficial to create a new forum post as this one is a few months old.

John M.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,441 Views)

hello! 

Me and my partner are labview users and whants expand our knowledge about the programmable robotic arms using the software.
Which version should I use?
What is the latest robotic arm?

thanks a lot 

and have a good day

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,015 Views)