From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Dots on Block Diagram

Hi this is probably a naive question, but what do the red dots where wires meet subvi's mean? They don't show up as errors, but I'm not sure what is wrong with the wiring.

Thanks,

Arthur J.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(10,808 Views)

See the Coercion Dots paragraph in this document.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(10,798 Views)

In this case, coercion dots appear in your diagram because NI uses different type definitions for Board ID and Bd ID Out in their motion library. Therefore LabVIEW must coerce one type to the other.

1. open Start Motion (8 axes).flx
  2. right click on Board ID >> Open Type Def
  3. repeat for Bd ID Out
  4. notice that the strict type defs are not the same
Message 3 of 5
(10,793 Views)

Is there a better way to connect or convert the Board ID to the Bd ID Out so that they are the same type definitions? Or should I not be concerned with it

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(10,787 Views)

Avoid coercion dots in your own VIs and live with those in NI's motion library.

• Modifying NI's library ? Your time and effort will probably be ruined by the next release.
  • Inserting Type Cast functions ? The code won't be more efficient but on the contrary will need more space (and become more difficult to understand).

I don't know why NI uses different type definitions but they might have a good reason. Please call them and let us know their answer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(10,771 Views)