From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover from shutdown in motion card

I am using an old PCI-7340 motion card in a new computer running Windows 7.  I installed LabVIEW 2013 SP1 and Ni-Motion 15.0, and downloaded new firmware to the card from NI-Motion.  The card works fine mostly, and when I enable the shutdown input, and then put it in shutdown, it works properly in that it shuts down all drives.  However, when I remove the shutdown input (go from 5V back to 0), the card will not come out of shutdown and no commands in LabVIEW work.  Nor does anything in Max work either.  The error is that the function cannot run because the machine is in shutdown, but the shutdown input has been removed.  Even if I try to disable the shutdown input in MAX and then Initialize, it fails.  The only recovery is to shutdown the computer, and then restart it.  Not a viable response to an Emergency Stop condition.

But we used the same circuit design and motion card in three other older machines, all with LabVIEW 7.1 and an older NI-Motion, and the same Estop/shutdown connection, and they all work fine, and the moton card recovers when the shutdown input is removed.  

Is the Motion driver the likely problem?  Or LabVIEW 2013?  Or possibly the older motion card, even with the firmware update, is not fully compatible with either LV2013 or Motion 15?

Another symptom, is that when in shutdown, the digital I/O are not controllable, whereas they are on the other machines (with the older LV and Motion).  Plus on the older machines, when the card is in shutdown, I can still run the motion initialization routines in LabVIEW (for instance when I stop and restart my program), but in the latest versoin they all fail - no motion software VI's work at all after the shutdown has been activated, not even the ones that directly control unused analog or digital ports (using Read ADC, Set MOMO, ertc.).

Any ideas would be useful, especially if someone has come across this problem before and knows the fix.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,303 Views)

According to the NI-Motion documentation, the only way to disable shutdown is to reset or power cycle the controller. Have you tried using the Reset Motion Controller VI?

Reset Motion Controller- NI-Motion Help

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372134F-01/ni-motion_vi_help/reset_motion_controller/

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,265 Views)

Hi Eden

Yes, I've tried the reset and no luck.  But in three other machines, wired the same way, it is possible to recover from shutdown (by de-activating the shutdown input signal) and then to move the machine safely.

I will read through the documentation again and see if I missed something.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,254 Views)

I usually use the following initialisation sequence:

- Clear Power Up Status.flx

- Reset Motion Controller.vi

- Clear Faults.vi

- Initialize Controller.flx

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,243 Views)

Thanks, I will try that sequence and see if it makes a difference.  I also just noticed today that the NI-Motion software (both 15.0 and 16.0) think the card is a PCI-7340 when it is a 7344.  I also found that the ADC was reading some channels at half the applied voltage and some at the correct voltage.  Changing input ranges had no effect.  I uninstalled all NI software, then reinstalled LabVIEW and Ni-Motion, but used Ni-Motion 15 instead of 16 (which I used the first time), and it still sees the card as a 7340 but the ADC now works correctly.  Not sure exactly what is going on, as the computer was brand new 3 weeks ago and I had installed LV and Motion for the first time then.  Unless 16.0 has issues.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,231 Views)

This is normal, 7340 is the controller family. I have a 7334 controller installed (4 axis) and in MAX it is displayed as a PCI-7330 motion device.

Ben64

Message 6 of 7
(3,218 Views)

That makes me a bit more comfortable with it.  Still having some other issues, but contacted tech support and now have an open case - hopefully they will be able to resolve the problems.  I will post them here later in case you are interested.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,215 Views)