From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-7344 and MAX issues setting up steppers some with and some without encoders.

I have found a bug in MAX or in the PCI-7344 firmware. I am doing custom setting in max for three steppers. Axis 1 and 2 are setup as closed loop steppers in MAX and I want to setup Axis 3 as an open loop stepper. If I try to setup Axis 3 as an open loop stepper it gives me an error when I try to initialize the board. It says that I have no encoder for a closed loop axis. You can get it to work by leaving the encoder box check and initialize the axis then go to interactive and select Axis 3 and set it to open loop mode there and it works till you reboot the computer or reinitialize the axis. The control program for axis three will also work with this little trick. This seems like and obvious bug. I think the version of MAX is 15.

Perry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,282 Views)

Hi Perry,

Thank you for this information. Assuming you are working with NI-Motion, what version of that software are you using? Also, do you only see this if you have other closed loop axis in the configuration, or for any time you try to do an open loop stepper? This could help narrow down exactly what the issue is. Regardless, I am glad you shared your workaround. That is very helpful!

Madison T
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,203 Views)