From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIMC_returnDataBufferNotEmptyError -70025 when CPU busy

I am currently getting NIMC_returnDataBufferNotEmptyError (-70025) errors intermittently when the computer processor is busy. My program tends to be very active updating status but is only using about 20-40 % of the CPU. The  problem occurs when the CPU is at or around 100% (another process is using the CPU).  I have tried to detect all errors and repeat commands when the error is detected however it has not resolved my issue.  It seems that a call to a previous command fails to clear / read all the data from the buffer and it is not detected until the next command is called.

I would like to eliminate the error however I dont know the source of the issue. It seems to be a driver/firmware issue but I have a hard time believing it.

Some things I do that may be relevant:

-I force all ni commands to be spaced out by at least 10 ms. 

-Before each command is sent I wait for the ready to receive bit to be set.

-All commands in my software are surrounded by thread locks.

-I only use the _rtn commands to avoid managing the buffer. 

-After each command I check the return and if it fails I try again until it succeeds.

Some more information that may also be relevant:

-I have the same code on three different systems. Two of which are older and have the issue, one is newer and it runs with out issue.

-The problem showed up after the cards firmware was updated to the latest version and new software was added.

The computer that has issues:

Windows XP SP3

Pentium 4 3GHz

2GB RAM

NI version is 8.3

PCI Cards in the computer:

7344 and 7340

both have the same firmware version:

7.40.3003 / 7.32.3003 / 7.00.3001 / 7.00.3001

Any suggestions on what to check or do to avoid the issue?

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,169 Views)

Hi Matt,

So there is a KnowledgeBase that addresses how to handle the error for the issue, and describes how it occurs. Give this a read.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B26517355796859E86256B490055DBC7

Ravi A.
National Instruments | Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,154 Views)