Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-Motion PXI Card Device Status = Is Not Responding

Solved!
Go to solution

I am unable to communicate with my NI PXI-7358 motion controller card.  The general tab in MAX for the card shows that "Device Status" = "Is Not Responding" see attached.  I have un-mapped and re-mapped the remote device.  I have also removed and re-seated the PXI card without any success.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,897 Views)

Does this mean the card is no longer functioning and needs to be replaced?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,896 Views)

Some further information: NI-Motion 6.1.2 Driver, Max 3.1.1, LabVIEW 7.1, Windows XP

Any help in how to further troubleshoot the issue or diagnose the card as defective is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,871 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeffmg

Hi Jeffmg, 

This seems to be a known issue. There is an internal knowledgebase documenting this problem and a potential solution. 

The solution according to the KB article:

"This problem can occur when a previous board was mapped to the host machine. The NIMtnSvr.exe is based on Board ID's and sometimes gets stuck. To fix this, close any NI software running and then open the task manager and end the NIMtnSvr.exe process. This will shutdown the server and allow it to start from scratch the next time it runs. When you open MAX, the boards will appear on the local host correctly mapped."

-N

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,866 Views)

What is the link to the KB article?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,859 Views)

Hi Jeffmg, 

Its an internal article, so there isn't an external link. 

-N

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,855 Views)

Thanks.  I think it is the same issue, but hard to say for sure.  I had the IT group login as an administrator and when we went into MAX the card state was back to "Working Properly".  We did not kill the NIMtnSvr.exe process, but maybe it restarted this in the process of switching users to an admin.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,853 Views)