Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9151 and Absolute Encoder

Solved!
Go to solution

hi, i need to acquire a measurement from an absolute encoder (model AEN500 serial). Can i use a compactRIO NI 9251 with a SEA 9521 BiSS/SSI interface module? is there something cheaper?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,824 Views)

Hi Yiug89,

as far as I know and according to our internal portal, only S.E.A. is providing this kind of product. This c-series module (SEA 9521 BiSS/SSI interface module) is not supported by National Instruments. I suggest you to contact directly S.E.A. in the way to have the correct answers about this topic. Furthermore, I didn't find any concrete plans of developing any NI hardware right now. I'm so sorry, but I think It's better for you to contact directly SEA.

Kindly regards,

Stefano Fois

National Instruments Italy - Application Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,761 Views)

i'm sorry but SEA 9521 hardware manual says that "SEA 9521 BiSS Interface Module with 3 * BiSS interfaces to connect absolute digital position encoder to the CompactRIO system from National Instruments"

Cattura.JPGhowever, is there any NI device i can use with a compactRIO system to read from a absolute encoder?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,751 Views)

also i made a typing mistake in the main message: it's compactRIO NI 9151 not NI 9251

Cattura1.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,742 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yiug89

Hi yiug89,

I felt that what you had wrote was a typo... don't worry!

However that's the point: NI seems not interested to invest in the developing of devices or systems involved to the implementation of the BiSS protocol. Furthermore, although the SEA 9521 c-series module is compatible with the NI-9151 (according the SEA specifications), I'm not able to give you any support, just because I'm not allowed to do this: the NI service for this product is not supported.

What about your question:

"...is there any NI device i can use with a compactRIO system to read from a absolute encoder?"

the answer is: yes, there are some solution to read the data from an absolute encoder with NI product, if the data are transmitted in:

- SSI (Syncronous Serial Interface) someone has develop some examples. Have a look to this link... http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/862567530005F09C862566BE004E469D

- CAN (Control Area Network) with the XNET drivers...

- Profibus...

- DeviceNet...

... and some other bus or industrial protocols... but not the BiSS.

Stefano Fois

Application Engineer - NI Italy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,724 Views)