Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorized telescopic mechanism I can buy to lift 4lb PVC barrel w/ computer?

My obsession for helping my son makes it impossible for me not to try to help him in all things. Son’s latest assignment "Mechanized T-Shirt Launcher with computerized aiming". I am going to leave all the “computerized programing” of the “2 wired motors (servo?) mechanisms” to his "project group" as I know nothing about it. Repeatable accuracy is their end-goal.

I need good advice on what “2 motor mechanisms” (servos?) to buy (and/or build with additional hardware) to do 2 things:

1. Motorized Panning of the 4lb.. PVC Gun Barrel.

2. Motorized Raising/Lowering of the 4lb. PVC Gun Barrel.

Gun is mounted on a 12’’ lazy Susan disk turning atop a 24'' diameter wooden table top. Perhaps A MOTORIZED RUBBER WHEEL (Servo?) at location “1” will Pan it??? What to buy? How to mount?

The harder advice I need is how to raise and lower the 3’, 4lb. Barrel with repeatable accuracy and the same computer program that directs the panning motor.

In my mind I envision a motorized telescopic shaft........strong enough to raise and lower the 4lb. barrel and not be broken when the gun is fired?? What to buy? Many hours of my unskilled searching on the internet has not revealed where to buy or how to build this.

Any and all advice as to what I need to buy (and/or build) is much appreciated. I don't mind spending money and failing. Like Edison, I want to move forward even if it is just to learn what doesn't work. Much Thanks!

IMG_0045.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,271 Views)

Hey Eugene19,

Sounds like a cool project!  Just a heads up, your picture didn't show up so we can't see the location '1'.  From a technical standpoint, our motion products are most likely overkill for what you need here.  

Just some advice:

You might want to look into the Arduino platform.  This seems like a more appropriate approach for what you are trying to do.  The motorized rubber wheel sounds like a good idea for the lazy susan.  

For the raising and lowering, you could use a lead screw.  Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5R6M0XL1QA

You could attach a motor to spin the lead screw and attach the arm to the metal brace.  This would allow raising and lowering dictated by a motor.

Hopefully this gives you some good ideas!  

Eric
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,257 Views)