Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Control system - ISM 7402E+UMI 7764 - CW and CCW Rotation

My name is Vikram, and I am a graduate student at Arizona State University. Last month, we purchased a set of motion control units made by NI which include Integrated Stepper Motors (ISM 7402 E), with power supply units (PS 13), and motion  controller (UMI 7764). Based on our requirements, we want the stepper motor to rotate both clockwise and anti-clockwise. We followed the wiring instructions mentioned in the start-up guide (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376089a.pdf). After which I used the several example Vis for motion control, one of which is “simple one-axis blended motion” which has both negative and positive target positions; to simulate both clockwise and anticlockwise. But it’s not working out that way, as I can get only anti-clockwise motion, inspite of entering both negative and positive targets.

Can I get some help on this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,156 Views)

Hi Vikram,

Just to clarify, the UMI is just a breakout board. The controler will either be in a PCI or PXI slot in your computer and will be something like PCI or PXI 73xx. What is that? Shouldn't matter too much, but worth getting all the info.

What version of LabVIEW and of NI-Motion are you using?

Also, if you try to move the motor from the 1-D interactive in MAX, do you see the same behavior? Are you using absolute position or relative position? This White Paper gives good directions on how to do that: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/2932/en/

Rahul B.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,137 Views)

Rahul,

Thanks for your response. I am using PCI-7334. I have tried the 1-D Interactive in NI-Max but only with positive target positions. I will try the negative one.. I am not sure if its an absolute/relative position.. Is its absolute, is it going to make it positive always?? Is that the reason when I try the "Blended One-Axis" example VI in LabView 13, and enter negative target positions, all I see is movement only in CCW direction?? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,134 Views)

Hi vdey!

If you set the velocity to a negative one, does the motor move in the opposite direction?

Rahul B.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,105 Views)