From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus installation instructions incorrect. What are correct instructions

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the Modbus driver, but the NI instructions seem out of date.  They don't match what I see on my Windows 7 64 bit machine with the trial Labview 2014 (64) installed.

Referenced instructions:

file:///C:/Users/toddbelt/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_nimodbus121.zip/nimodbus121/readme.html

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,732 Views)

Most of NI's Modbus functionality is provided by either the LabVIEW Real Time Module or the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module. Can you provide a link to where you found the driver (the link you provided was to a location on your PC, not something published on the web)?

Regards,

Ryan K.
Product Manager, ATCA and BEEcube
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,703 Views)

Those instructions should be correct, except that it should probably go to "Program Files (x86)" instead of just "Program Files".  I have been using those Modbus drivers for many years on various projects,  up through LV2013.  On Windows 2000, XP, and 7.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,698 Views)

I installed the latest Modbus library 1.2.1 and copied 8.6 (86) user.lib, vi.lib and help files in the appropriate LabVIEW 2016 folders.  The vi's show up in the user pallet, but the Modbus LabVIEW Library help topics are empty.  I copied lvmodbus.chm and lvmodbus.txt into C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\help. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,208 Views)

Do you know the more recent Modbus API from NI ?

The first link (current version) is wrong. See the links at the bottom of the page.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/7324/526/6/ni_lib_modbus_library-1.1.5.39.vip

Message 5 of 7
(3,202 Views)

@JB wrote:

Do you know the more recent Modbus API from NI ?

The first link (current version) is wrong. See the links at the bottom of the page.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/7324/526/6/ni_lib_modbus_library-1.1.5.39.vip

I would second this idea, the Modbus API is really easy to use and seems to work pretty well. It's called "NI Modbus Library" if you are searching for it on VIPM which is a bit confusing but the version on VIPM is what JB linked.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 6 of 7
(3,198 Views)

That worked!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,190 Views)