Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG17 Motor Help

I am using what is essentially the Example VI from the 'User Guide to LabVIEW & APT' Manual to control a ThorLabs Nano Rotator with a ThorLabs APT Precision motor controller. The ActiveX MG17Motor interface works well. However, I need to be able to integrate elements of the motor control within a larger program. To do this I am attempting to use some to the MG17Motor methods to specify the motor position.

I will need the ability to 'Home/Zero' the rotator as well as move it to a particular position. At present I have been attempting to use the MoveAbsoluteRot method; it works do a degree. It a large move is specified then the motor will overshoot the desired position, and do a whole nother rotation before slowing as it approaches the desired angle, overshooting again, etc. The ActiveX control, in contrast, will reverse the rotation direction and and achieve the desired position quickly.

I'm in need of two things, (1) help in programming a sequence to get the rotator in the desired position, and (2) a source for help files on the MG17 methods. Without information on what each of the inputs and outputs are for for the various methods I'm having to guess and work through trial and error, and there are a lot of methods. So if any one can tell me where to find some documentation that would be good.

I've attached copies of the VIs I am using. Help appreciated.

Download All
Message 1 of 5
(12,884 Views)

I found this on Thorlabs' website. It provides some documentation for APT programming. It might be useful for you: http://www.thorlabs.com/tutorials/APTProgramming.cfm.

Take care,

Jeremy P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(12,864 Views)

The help files can be found in the Thorlabs start menu folder the default location is START MENU>>ALL PROGRAMS>>THORLABS>>APT>>HELP>>APT SERVER HELP.

This will open a windows help file with a comprehensive list of methods, properties, events, etc… to find the motor control methods please expand the sections PROGRAMMING GUIDE>>MOTOR CONTROL>>MOTOR CONTROL METHODS. These should help you find the correct enumeration for each of the methods.  

To home the stage first you should use the MoveHome method.

For the MoveAbsoluteRot method the lMoveMode parameter specifies the move direction and takes values from the ROTMOVEMODE enumeration as follows:

1. ROT_MOVE_POS Rotate Positive
  2. ROT_MOVE_NEG Rotate Negative
  3. ROT_MOVE_SHORT Rotate Quickest

An alternative to the MoveAbsoluteRot method would be to use the SetRotStageModes method to change how the stage rotates and then use the SetAbsMovePos followed by the MoveAbsolute to move the stage to your desired position. set attached. If you have any further questions please direct them to Thorlabs at techsupport.uk@thorlabs.com

Regards

Mike Soulby

Thorlabs Ltd.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(12,831 Views)

Dear sir,

the page metioned by you cannot be found. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,584 Views)

@Nanotechnology wrote:

the page metioned by you cannot be found. 

Just remove the stray period at the end of the URL:

http://www.thorlabs.com/tutorials/APTProgramming.cfm

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,581 Views)