cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lexium MDrive Motor Configuration Error

Solved!
Go to solution
To whom it may concern, 

I am trying to develop a LabVIEW program for the control and automation of a Lexium MDrive motor, LMDCE571. I have downloaded the MCode project for LabVIEW 8.6 from http://motion.schneider-electric.com/support/example_programs.html. I am trying to get it to run using the provided code and VISA commands. I have LabVIEW 2013 (32-bit) installed with several additional things, such as FPGA. I opened the MCode.lvproj, and then opened the MDrive_Data_Collection(example).vi. When I run it, it provides an error from the MDrive_Init_Com.vi, and further from the VISA configure serial port VI. The error message is always the same and it is "-1073807331 Property Node (arg 2), The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource." I am not sure which property it is referring to, or if the property is supported. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I have used the Motion Control Programmer software provided by the manufacturer and it will connect to the motor and operate as expected. I have set up the VISA for the motor with NI MAX. When I ping the motor using command line, it receives the packets without error. I originally contacted the support for the manufacturer and they pointed me to this forum. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(13,014 Views)

Staller,

Hi, I'm doing the exact same thing except (slightly different motor, MDrive23), I don't get any error codes. LV runs and executes just fine, but I don't see any motion from the motor. I've installed the MD-CC4 USB-RS422 drivers and Windows 7, 32-bit, is happy. NI MAX seems happy with MD-CC4 (I've not tried sending packets, I don't know how to do this, but can try with some assistance). 

I've contacted Schneider, but they won't assist. None of there code is documented or explained. I don't see any units for the information to enter. 

On another forum, there is an error issue in dscussion, but I couldn't make sense of what they were talking about. 

If you get a solution, please update this post. I, too, am in need of assistance with this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(12,980 Views)

I opened the VISA Configure Serial Port VI and I noticed that the 2nd argument of the property node is where the serial baud rate is specified. What does the baud rate need to be for this device? Can you make sure that the baud rate is correctly configured in this specific LabVIEW application? It's possible that the baud rate is input by the user on the front panel or it might be set as a constant on the block diagram.

Jeremy P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(12,953 Views)

Refering to M-Drive Example (located: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-16991), I see this where it doesn't import the baud rate. I tried yesterday chasing the error backwards through the program (to where you've pointed it out Prickly-Pear), but didn't think it was the issue as it was set to what I thought the correct baud I selected on the higher VI. Good job! I've tried changing this, but not successful (still a bit green on the LV skills).

Refering to Schneider's MCODE_LV_86 (located: http://motion.schneider-electric.com/support/example_programs.html), in Windows 7's Device Manager, the properties for the MD-CC4 baud rate is set to 115200. I'd assumed this was correct and was setting my VI's to this. I had some assitance from Schneider this AM with running a factory reset using their SEM Terminal. Then trying to figure out why it wasn't working I changed this to 9600 in Windows. SEM Terminal connected, I sent a factory reset, and controlled the rotation of the drive. Then used the MCODE_LV_86 from Schneider. It works w/o issue. 

So, two issues, one was me not having Windows set (thinking an interface SW would correct the Windows setting). This means there are 3 places to align baud rates (device, Windows, LV). The other that the M-Drive Example looks like it needs a small change.

Message 4 of 16
(12,951 Views)

I have tried setting the V86 LabVIEW to all of the baud rates in the manual for the motor (4800,9600,19200,38400,115200) with no success. I am still receiving the same error. 

I tried using the SEM Terminal to see the baud rate set using "PR BD" but it does not print. I have used the "FD" command to factory reset it. and "PR AL" to print out all of the variables. BD (baud rate) does not show up. I then tried it with the default of 9600 using LabVIEW and received the same error. 

I tried looking in the Device Manager for drivers or the motor, but I do not think an ethernet controlled motor would show up there. 

I have not tried the M-Drive Example yet, but I will be testing it and seeing if the same issue persists. 

Thank you for your help thus far. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(12,888 Views)

Good list. I initially did the same. Here are a couple suggestions:

- Make sure Windows is 32-bit. Schneider claims and I succeeded in proving that Windows 7 64-bit won't install the drivers for the dongle.

- You're correct, the Device Manager>Ports doesn't show MDrive. It should show: "IMS USB to RS422 Converter Cable".

I'd say check those two things first. I had to install the drivers for the Converter. Then once the converter was seen, I could select the 9600 baud rate. Then in SEM, I did the FD which produced a warning as it is supposed to. Then I sent command SL 51200 and the motor turned.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(12,883 Views)

I am running 32-bit LabVIEW 2013 on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. I will check if I can find a 32-bit version of Windows around here to use, or if I need to install it. 

I installed the drivers listed, but they don't appear to be needed. I am not using a USB cable or any cable directly to the computer. The motor is on a network and I am trying to operate it via Ethernet/IP. Perhaps that's part of the issue with the example LV 8.6 code not working. 

To set up the connection for LabVIEW, I used NI MAX following the webcast listed here: http://www.ni.com/webcast/1436/en/

The device didn't show up under the automatic search so I added it via "Manual Entry of Raw Socket" to use with its IP (192.168.33.1) and the port 503. When I tried to add it using the auto-detect option in NI MAX, it does not find the device. If I use the Manual Entry of LAN Instrument, and click the Validate button after typing in the IP address, it gives me "Could not open a VISA session to "TCPIP0::192.168.33.1::INSTR", VISA error code 0xBFFF0011. Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system." I know the device is present because I can connect to it with the SEM terminal and the MDrive Software Suite. 

Furthering the idea of a connection configuration issue, is my current error message from the M-Drive Example that was provided earlier in this message thread. Running it with the VISA resource I set up in NI MAX, I get an error code of "-1073807346" which can be found here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A2561CDE98B66DD4862566510078264F

When I use the Motor Finder.vi from M-Drive, nothing appears for any of the specified baud rates. 

To me, it suggests that I am not configuring it correctly in NI MAX, or that the ethernet motor itself does not work with VISA resources or NI MAX. I am going to try to use an Ethernet IP/CIP LabVIEW project. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(12,869 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Staller

To all, 

I received a new example VI from SEM / IMS this morning that solved my connection issues with the ethernet motor. Setting it up in NI MAX does not actually set up a connection to the motor. The connection should be opened with TCP Open Connection in LabVIEW, with the address as the IP address, and use TCP Write and TCP Read to read/write. 

Thank you for the troubleshooting. 

Message 8 of 16
(12,861 Views)
Hello Staller, Would you be able to upload these new VIs somewhere? Or better yet - some VIs that interface with these devices through ethernet (or modbus/TCP)..? I am also trying to operate some SEM motors and the VIs they have on their website are almost 10 years old (for LV 8.6) and work with COM 😞 Even a screenshot of the block diagram would suffice at this stage... as I don't even know where to begin. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(9,863 Views)

This zip folder has the demo files they provided. They are basic VIs to set parameters to a motor and receive back parameters. The demo should have an initialization section in it. 

Message 10 of 16
(9,860 Views)