Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview to Festo CMMS(P)

Is it possible to control a Festo CMMS or CMMP servo drive from Labview via either Device-Net or CAN open?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(10,614 Views)

Hi rayjay,

I'm not personally familiar with that hardware.  Can you enlighten us as to how you are connecting to the Festo drive from your computer?  Have you seen the NI CANopen LabVIEW Library?

- Greg J

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(10,587 Views)

Did you succeed to control the stepper motor controller festo cmms via labview?

Which device is best for the communication between the pc and the cmms?

Jochen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(10,276 Views)

I recently controlled a CMMP-AS FESTO drive from LabVIEW trhough FHPP protocol which is described in great detail in CMMP data file. Now, my communication interface was PROFIBUS DP and I used a PCI PROFIBUS DP II from comsoft company. They work very well and is very easy to vary the physical parameters such as speed, acceleration, position, etc. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(9,442 Views)

Hello,

I am currently controlling a festo servo motor with labview via RS-232, I was able to create a VI for homing, initialization and move to position with the commands I found in its manual, but when I want to do the main program that includes all these VIs, it doesn't work, it seems like I'm not putting the sub VIs in the right order, how should I proceed?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,407 Views)

Hi Yasmine90

I would really appreciate if you let me know how you managed to control the Festo servo-motor with labview via RS 232. I first dowmloaded the CANobject library and it didn't move at all ... Seems like i couldn't get bytes back from the serial port. So i have done an other Vi  in wich i send hexadecimal commands (that i have found on festo manual) through the serial port. As i cant send directly hexadecimal commands i have made a sub-vi wich allows to convert it into ASCII string ("text string" on the schmatic) : i used the string to byte array module. It still doesn't work but i don't know why .....

fd.JPG

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,596 Views)

Hello,

Yes, it is possible to control Festo Drivers from LabView. I specifically used  a Profibus Network and I had to learn a little bit about FHPP Protocol, wihich is a protocol made by Festo, making possible to control their hardware with any other controller totally distinct of Festo controllers. I had to install a PCI board of National Instruments compatible with Profibus DP on my PC. Then I configured the Network parameters and devices. I was capable of controlling up to 4 servodrives and a Valve Module, each one with a different Profibus Address. Once you know the FHPP protocol is too easy to create the properly logic into LabView environment.

Therefore, in my opinion, if you use CAN Open or Device Net, you must just adequate the properly hardware and configure the Network parameters. You should not have any problem with the communication.

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,586 Views)

Hi Yasmine90!

Could you please share your LabVIEW RS-232 code with me for controlling this Controller?

Let me know and thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,101 Views)

Hallo,

i have the same problem with the controll of Fest motorcontroller CMMP, but i want to use PROFINET or EtherNet/IP interface.

I want to connect the motorcontroller with my netzwork by a switch.

Can anybody discripe the procced how do start. I've just visti the core 1 for Labview.

many greetings

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,735 Views)

I'm not familiar with that motor controller -- what protocols does it use? You would have to take a look at the protocol to see what commands to send it. 

There are a lot of support resources regarding Ethernet/IP here:

http://sine.ni.com/psp/app/doc/p/id/psp-1016/lang/en

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,689 Views)