Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kollmorgen Motors with PCI-7342 and UMI-7772

Hi,

I am trying to connect a pair of third-party servo-motors (Kollmorgen AKM11B-ANCNC-00) and drives (Kollmorgen AKD P00306-NBAN-0000) using a National Instrument motion controller NI PCI-7342 and motion interface NI UMI-7772.
Ever since the setup has been connected to a new computer, the motors aren't moving even though they are connected. The motors are detected by the GUI for the motors (Kollmorgen Workbench) but the program shows that the hardware is not enabled.
It has also been noticed that the LED indicating 'Interlock' shows red, and so do the LEDs indicating the 'Disabled' for both the axes on the UMI.
The 'Axis Configuration' for both axes on the NI MAX program indicate 'Enabled'.
Since only the PCI board has been switched from the old computer (where the setup was working well) to the new one, most cable connections have been left untouched.
Any help/suggestions on why the motors aren't working is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Subhabrata

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,582 Views)

The motion controller is PCI-7430 and not PCI-7432 as earlier mentioned.

Also, i have been getting this error message when i am testing the device in an 1-d environment:

"Error -70119 (NIMC_limitSwitchActiveError) Error occured Start in Axis 1 Desired move cannot be completed because the limit input is active in the direction of travel"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,561 Views)

What are your current settings for your limit switches? Have you seen this link? It sounds to me like on of your limit switches is active and won't allow your request move. If the interlock light is on, it typically means that your UMI isn't sensing the proper bus voltage from your motion controller. 

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,547 Views)

Could you explain a little more on what you mean by 'current settings on limit switches' ? Anyway in accordance to the link you attached to the previous reply, we changed the settings on the NI MAX program to correspond that on the switch (on the UMI) and now we don't get the error (70119). Thanks for that.

But we still cannot get the motors to work. The 'interlock' light is still on. We took out the 'control' and 'feedback' ports that go into the UMI for the two axes and probed the voltage between pin 6 and pin 9 on the control port. One link (from the Knowledgebase) had suggested that we would get a voltage around 24V, but we did not. It was the same for both the axes. Does that suggest anything ? Should we look into replacing the cables connecting the UMI and the motion controller (even though the they were working fine before we moved set-up) ? Or could it even have something to do with the motion controller itself ?

Thanks in advance,

Subhabrata

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,535 Views)

Hello Subhabrata,

The host bus interlock monitors the +5V pin from the motion controller to verify that the motion controller is powered on and properly connected to the UMI. If the interlock light is on, it most likely means that the UMI is not receiving the necessary voltage from the bus. You could try replacing the cable from the UMI to the motion controller or self testing the motion controller in MAX. If the interlock light is still on, it may be that the UMI or Motion controller is faulty and will need to be sent in for a repair. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,502 Views)