Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this driver/controller compatible with LabView

What do you mean by read or write commands...

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(2,319 Views)
This is extremely basic. Your controller must receive data from the pc in order to do something such as a move. This would be a command. The command is sent from the pc to the controller with a VISA Write function. It's possible that the controller is able to send information back to the pc (such as position). You might need to read this information and you would request it by sending a different command to the controller and get the data with a VISA Read function.

Have you read the programmers manual for the controller or are you just posting basic questions here? You need to spend a little time getting familiar with basic instrument communication.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/9860/en/
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(2,317 Views)

I get that I need to program the commands that I want in NI Visa. I want to know how that interacts with Labview. I want to know if I can send commands from labview that will translate through NI Visa and to the driver/controller. 

If that is the case can I still have an array on the front panel to have input variables such as step angle increments and range of the stepping. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(2,300 Views)

I am using an open loop system so there will be no encoder feedback. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(2,299 Views)
It's pretty basic. LabVIEW has a VISA palette of functions. You place these on the block diagram just like any other function. You use a VISA Resource Name to specify the com port. You pass the commands you need to control the device with a VISA Write and get any data back with VISA Read. All commands have to be formatted as strings for aread and a string is what is returned with a read.

You can have any control you want if you know how to program it correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(2,296 Views)