Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interactive Test Panel doesn't move AKD motor, no errors

Hello,

I have run into a problem which will soon turn my hair grey before time.

Weeks ago, I made VIs to control 4 AKD motors on a cRIO target. It worked just fine, no problems.

Now I've returned to the project, but the motors just will not move.

When the VI's didn't engage the motors, I went to the Interactive Test Panel, to no avail. The motors do not move the least bit, yet I get no errors and the position error simply increases by whatever distance I order the motors to move.

I have re-formatted the target and reinstalled all software. I have confirmed that the Kollmorgen Workbench can perform service motions and that it doesn't report anythiing unusual either.

I'm using LV2015. I don't have the stats on the drives, motors or cRIO with me just now, but will post those tomorrow (nothing unusual, I'm sure). In the meantime, I hope you will post any suggestions or ideas you have. I'm completely baffled by this issue, and would greatly appreciate your help.

-Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,475 Views)

Hello again.

The cRIO is a 9030 (no modules inserted)

The drives are AKD-P00306-NBCC-E000

The motors are AKM22E-WNDNCA0W

If you have any idea, no matter how outlandish, please do post it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,467 Views)

Update:

I tried using a different Host machine, with no difference.

I also wrote a quick test VI, and just like in the test panel the position error increases, because the velocity is never increased. It just fluctuates around zero velocity. 

Still, I get no errors, no warnings 😕

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,461 Views)

Hi Tobias,

Are you able to attach your VIs? What has changed since the system was working? Are the drives/motors etc all powered correctly? Are you just outputting to the drives from the Ethernet of the cRIO chassis?

Kind regards

Pete

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,426 Views)

Hi PWoodward,

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for my late response.

I have actually left the location of the project for the week, but will be back at it this Monday.

I have yet to discuss in detail what was being done when the motors stopped working, with the guy who was working with it at the time. I also got some good suggestions from elsewhere. 

I will return here Tuesday to inform of any developments, new insights - or (hopefully), the solution.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,402 Views)

Hi Tobias,

I have spoken to Edvin, he is going to be looking into your service request for you so I will leave it in his capable hands.

If you find out the solution, post it here so others can find out how to fix the same issue 🙂

Best of luck

Pete

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,364 Views)

Hi Pete,

I would be amiss to claim we found a solution, but we did find a way to push through.

Having confirmed that the hardware wiring was correct, that system configuration adhered to instructions (1), and that MAX adaptor settings was proper, creating a new simple project yielded some hope of fixing the issue.

First, though, the target had to be formatted and software reinstalled.

The new simple project didn't fix anything at first, but then, mysteriously, it did move the motors via the Test Panel. 

Thus encouraged, I made another new project and put in the bit and pieces from the original, checking along the way that theTest Panel could still move the motors, and that the bits and pieces worked as expected.

End of day everything was back to normal. I guess the succinct conclusion is 'corrupted project', but on a personal level I'd say: Never allow incompetent people to modify your code in the slightest way, even if you have a backup.

I regret to not have used RAD (2) for this project yet. Never had a chance to see if it really works until now.

Though I think this is a one-in-a-million fluke, I hope this helps.

1) http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375592b.pdf

2) http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/595401C59F89ECCC862578CC005D0887

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,353 Views)

I want to make sure that I share the latest revision of the Getting Started with AKD EtherCAT® Drives and the LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module document.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,453 Views)

given the complexity of the system and all the various parameters in a motion control system, small slight change can impact the system.

it could have been voltage input/output coefficient, drive enable/disable bit, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,358 Views)