Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't run the stepper motor using NI 9501 with the example given.

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a NI cRIO-9025. I am trying to run a stepper motor with NI 9501 with the help of the example given (Veloity Control (open loop)- NI 9501). The program gets compiled on the FPGA, but the stepper motor doesn't move. The drive status always shows "disabled by software". What am I doing wrong? I am running both the RT and FPGA VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,813 Views)

Hi Pranjal,

I ran that example without making any changes and it ran fine. I have a few ideas:

1. Did you add your 9025 to your project? More importantly, are you using the right backplane? By default, that example uses a 9104 cRIO backplane. You must make sure that you add your 9025 and backplane to your project and then move the FPGA and RT VIs. You can find more information on how to do that here.
  2. If your program is throwing an error, the drive would enable and then immediately disable. Check your error out indicator to see if there is an error.
  3. Make sure your 9501 is in the same physical slot as you specify in your project.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,807 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite sure that the problem I'm facing is not 2. or 3. I tried moving the example using the methodology you mentioned, but I faced a problem:the "Items to move" folder did not appear. I could not the transport the examples properly. I transported the examples by copying it to the new project and changing the module number in it. It is able to compule, but as I said before the motor does not move.

The other think I want to ensure is whether I'm doing it correctly. I am entirely new to 9025 and 9501, and FPGA programming. How should I run the VIs? Should I run the FPGA VI first or the RT VI?

Also, while connecting the NEMA-17 motor to NI 9501, is there any need to supply external voltage supply or the voltage is provided by the module itself? 

Thanks again,

Pranjal

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,801 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Pranjal Agrawal

Hi Pranjal,

You will have to provide an external power supply to the module. If you look at the 9501 manual, you will see that pins 7 and 8 are meant for an 8-30V power supply. If you don't connect this supply, you will have a fault and the red LED should be lit. The manual also shows you different ways to connect your motor.

When running the VI, you will want to run only the RT VI. The FPGA VI will automatically be run when you start the RT VI. 

You are right that there is no 'Items to Move' folder. Instead, you will want to move the following things to your new target: Velocity Control (open loop) - NI 9501 (RT).vi, Velocity Control (open loop) - NI 9501 (FPGA).vi, and Setpoint. You will also want to make sure that you drag them to the appropriate hierarchy. The RT VI should be below the RT controller in the project and the FPGA VI and Setpoint FIFO should be below the FPGA target. Finally, you want to make sure that Mod1 is a 9501.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 13
(8,799 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your help. I did not connect the external power source earlier. The motor is running fine now.

Pranjal

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(8,763 Views)

I am currently trying to run a example program as well Position Control (open loop) and I tried moving the specific files over to the correct levels in a new project file and wont let me compile it.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(8,533 Views)

Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the right place for asking this question or not and if not, then please guide me to the right place for asking such question. Thanks.

I have a stepper motor with the Vector Network Analyzer Anritsu MS4623B. I got it up and running with the LabWindows/CVI. I need to sync the motion of the stepper motor with my data acquisition. Basically, I have to acquire the data in a way that in the start the motor will come back to home position wherever it was and then I want to move it to the specific position to do the measurements (For Example, I want to measure the 40 GHz channel between 1m to 3m movement of a stepper motor on a linear positioning system (ball-screw)). I've interfaced the VNA with the PC using LabWindows/CVI and I've controlled the clockwise and anti-clockwise movements of the stepper motor using LabWindows/CVI but I'm unable to sync the system in a way that whenever I run the code, the motor will run back to the home position and then move to a specific measurement start position and move till the end position and in between do the increment and stop and acquire the data. Is there any one to help me please? It's really urgent please and I'm doing this thing first time so please guide me in a proper way. I shall really apprecaite that and will be highly obliged with you. Thanks for your time and concern.

Thanks and Regards.

:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(8,507 Views)

I have connected my compacrio with pC and its connected fine, but on the chassis the c-series modules green led is continusally blinking saying that the drive is not enabled??

how can i enable the drive?

Do i have to run some program  for enabling??

please reply me soon

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(8,094 Views)

Do I have to connect the motor with it then it will stop blinking or what?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(8,093 Views)

I am receiving an error number -63192 saying 

that says your target resource doesnot match actual type of device. to change go fpga target>>properties>>resource on general page..
add same as in MAX
I have done extacly same but no change in error 
plus I have attached the image u may have a look plz n teme asap.I am waiting
you will notice in the piks that target class is rio 9104..and that I donot know y??
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(8,059 Views)