From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control a linear actuator with an NI-DAQ card ?

Hello everybody !

I have a Firgelli linear actuator (please find attached the datasheet). This actuator has 5 wires : one for the power (max 12 V), one for the ground. It has also an integrated potentiometer : a wire for the Feedback potentiometer positive reference rail, a wire for the negative one and the last wire which give the position signal.

I am able to move it when I wire it to a 12V power supply. I am currently trying to control the position of my actuator using a NI-USB acquisition device NI-USB 6218 (please find attached the datasheet).

So first I just want to furnish a tension signal from my card to supply my actuator. But it did not work. Some people told me that it was because my NI-card does not supply enough current. Is it right ?

If it’s right how can I control my actuator ? I have an Arduino in my stock.

Thank you.

King Regards

Nidal Kochrad

Student at Université de Sherbrooke

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,839 Views)

Which configuration of the L12 actuator do you have?  The model number should be "L12-SS-GG-VV-C-L", as explained on page 2 of the attached data sheet.

From what I can tell, the data sheet is not specific on the current draw.  But, the current vs. force plots on page two indicate at least ~25mA required on all models.  The output drive current of an analog output channel of the NI USB-6218 is only +/- 2mA, as shown on page 3 of the USB-621x Specifications manual found here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371932f.pdf.

I'm not sure how much output current your Arduino has, but whatever device you use would need to be up to 300mA to get the full force range of your actuator.

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,822 Views)