Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to communicate with Compax3 via RS232

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a Compax3 servo driver/controller and need to communicate to via RS232 and the "object" commands (e.g. "o680.5" retrieves the current position. However I have been unable to get the controller to actually turn our motor. Has anyone done this before that could provide some example code?

LV 2009 SP 1

Windows XP

Use the rating system, otherwise its useless; and please don't forget to tip your waiters!
using LV 2010 SP 1, Windows 7

Take a look here

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 88
(13,105 Views)

Thanks Brian. I saw that the other day. Unfortunately it doesn't help me much, that code just lets you choose a command and sends it, but I don't know what the commands are to send to actually get the motor moving. From what I know I have to send the command word "o1100.3=" something, but nothing I try seems to work. I know the device is working because the supplied  Parker program moves it just fine and I can read the position and statuses just fine. Have you done anything more with it lately? I think it may be possible I have to change the mode before sending the command word, but the documentation on that thing for RS232 communication is horrible.

Use the rating system, otherwise its useless; and please don't forget to tip your waiters!

Download the User Guide for a C3 I12T11 from here.  Section 5.2.2 starts a decent explanation of how to control it from the COM port.  That is what I used to get mine to move.  With that part of the manual, and my example, you should be able to get a working program.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 88
(13,094 Views)

I have that manual already and the understand that manipulating the control word is supposed to make it move...but it doesn't work. So far I have tried a varying series of commands including:

o1100.3=0

o1100.3=1

o1100.3=$4007

o1100.3=$6003

o1100.3=$7006

among other things such as setting a target position, velocity, acceleration, deceleration all in varying orders.

Whenever I check the statusword o1000.3 it always says 0

Are your commands getting through?  Try to read position to see if it comes back.  Are you using the right termination character?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 88
(13,081 Views)

Yes I can read the position just fine.

See if this is your issue.  What model Compax3 do you have, and what model do you have it configured for?

Message 8 of 88
(13,042 Views)

I figured it out finally...I have the T30, which doesn't really support RS232 despite what the sales and tech support originally told me. I reconfigured it as an I11 T12 and got it moving. Currently still not able operate it via the set motion table though. From what I am reading if I set all the parameters for row 5 (via o190x.5=xxx, etc) then command word with the AAAAA bits set to 5 (o1100.3=$4503) it should run that motion set, correct?

Solution
Accepted by topic author TWGomez

You should still be able to read and write objects while configured as a T30, but you would need to write an IEC program that reacts to your variable changes.  I have only done one project with positioning over comms, and it was some time ago.  My HMI would send "2O 1901.1=" to set a position, and "2O $6103CR" to move to the position.  Note the space,  and the CR is a carriage return.  Unfortunately, Parker US doesn't have a lot of experience with the communcations for this product, and the documentation is poor.  You can call Parker tech support in California.  Rich Rittis would be your best bet for getting answers on this.

Message 10 of 88
(13,016 Views)