Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access all the I/O variables for ELMO drive

Howdy All,

I am not sure if this is the problem with the ELMO motion controller or with the LabVIEW configuration, but I will post this anyway.

I have a motor controller (ELMO Gold Solo Whistle) for controlling a BLDC motor. The communication interface with the ELMO drive is EtherCAT. So, I have a NI cRIO 9024 as the ethercat master which is connected through the second ethernet port to the ELMO drive. I uploaded the xml file required to detect this third party slave device, and it was a success. So, I added the new slave device to the project. 

But, when I expanded the slave, I saw only 6 I/O variables. But, the ELMO device has a lot of other parameters like "Control Word', "Statusword" which did not show up. I can right click on the slave device and click on the "Online Device state" and click on "EtherCAT : parameters" and I can see a list of parameters which can be accessed. But  they dont show up in the I/O variables class. Does the xml file need to be modified to do this? Or does the mode status register have to be changed? Please help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,290 Views)

Shishir,

I'm not familiar with this drive, but am familiar with ethercat. As a start, could you post the XML file in question so that I could look through it? Also, do you have any links to manuals or such for this device?

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,261 Views)

Thank you for replying. Here are the links:

http://www.elmomc.com/support/manuals/MAN-CAN402IG.pdf

xml file is attached. Here is what I tried also which did not work either. There is an object called ReadSDO which I used for accessing one of the registers, and it had four options. Picture is attached. This did not give me anything on the "data" variable. The constant values "601" and "607E" are all in hex, and they are required to communicate with the ELMO. "601" is CAN ID for sending SDO to the slave, and "607E" is the index position for the variable: target position which gives me the encoder value of the motor shaft. LabVIEW snapshot is also attached.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,230 Views)

I was able to access the I/O variables I needed by editing the xml file manually. I got the right set of variables, but the motor is still not turning as  I wished. This must be something about the ELMO drive which I am not aware of. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,218 Views)