Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use Oriental Motor built-in drive controller with Labview?

I'm pretty new in Motion control and Labview. At this moment I have two step motors from Oriental Motors (alpha step AS series) and two built-in drive controllers (pag. 40 to 45) also from Oriental Motors and the corresponding cables to connect the drive to a computer via RS232. My institution has Labview license. My dougts are:

- Is it possible to control the both motors with Labview using the built-in drive controller from Oriental Motors directly connected to the PC?

- Do I need to purchase a PCI or UMI?

Any help would be great appreciated,

Sacha T. Mould 

Message 1 of 9
(7,334 Views)

Sacha,

with the built in controller all you have to do is to wire a serial cable to the serial port of your PC and the drive and use VISA functions to send ASCII commands to the device.

As LabVIEW is widely used to control devices through standardized communication interfaces like RS232 or GPIB, there is a chance, that the vendor provides a LabVIEW library (instrument driver) to simplify the control of the device from LabVIEW. To learn more about instrument drivers, please click here.

Kind regards,

Jochen Klier

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,332 Views)

Thank you very much for the reply.

Now I have another question similar to the earlier one. I need to purchase a step motor from Oriental Motor that comes with a rack and pinion head attached (LAS series). Oriental Motor sells this motor with a drive without built-in controller. The drive specifications are in pag. D-109. In this case, in order to control the motor with Labview,

- Which NI components I have to purchase?

- Can I use PCI 7334?

- Can I directly connect the PCI controller to the drive or UMI is necessary?

Thank you very much for your help and attention,

Sacha T. Mould 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,327 Views)

Sacha,

for this setup a 73xx board should be a good choice. Please note, that there are 2- and 4-axes versions available for the 7330 and 7340 boards and 2- ,4- ,6- and 8-axes versions for the 7350 boards.

In most cases using a UMI is a good choice, as it provides several desireable features for motion control applications compared to a passive terminal block. 

So here is a potential setup for your application:

PCI-7334

UMI-7764 

SH68-C68-S

I hope that helps,

Jochen 

Message Edited by Jochen on 09-05-2008 08:46 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,307 Views)

Hi again Jochen,

first of all, thank you very much for your reply.

Since I need to control two step motors and probably on future I will need a third one for my application, I will need a 4-axis controller. Now I want an orientation about which controller you think is best for my application. I'm only interested in accurate and precise position control for each motor. One of the motors has to rotate a valve to specific angles, and the other motor has to drive a moving plate up and down. The reason why I'm calling for your help is because I looked at the prices from PCI 7334 and PCI 7344 and there is a considerable gap between them. For my application, is there any advantage of purchasing PCI 7344 instead of PCI 7334? PCI 7354 I think that surpasses my needs.

Thanks again,

Sacha T. Mould    

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,299 Views)

Sacha,

the 7340 devices provide several features, that the 7330 boards don't. Here are the most important ones:

• servo motor control
  • onboard programming

Telling from your application description I don't see a need for a 7340 or a 7350 board, so a 7330 should be a good choice for you.

Jochen 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,295 Views)

hello, 

I need to establish the connection from Labview and CM 10 controller. I tried attaching Visa open but still its not working...

Any help would be greatly appericated..

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you soon..

My Email id is Adithyaks.08@gmail.com

cheers

addy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,158 Views)

hello, 

I need to establish the connection from Labview and CM 10 controller. I tried attaching Visa open but still its not working...

Any help would be greatly appericated..

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you soon..

My Email id is Adithyaks.08@gmail.com

cheers

addy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,157 Views)

Hi Addy,

unfortunately my current job doesn't allow me to dig deeper into this request but here are some general hints for posting questions to the forums:

1. Don't hi-jack old threads. The last post in this thread was from 2008 and it's not very likely to get an answer at all by doing so. Better create a new thread. Another point here is the fact, that new threads are monitored by NI's Application Engineers and they make sure, that these threads get answered. This doesn't apply to adding posts to old threads, so you will not get the attention of the NI support team by posting to old threads.

2. Add more details to your questions. Don't assume that anyone here knows what a CM 10 controller is. Add a link to a datasheet, provide details about the interface type (serial, ethernet, usb,...) and attach some code and explain clearly what type of errors you receive.

3. From a higher abstraction point of view, this issue seems to be related to communication between LabVIEW and an external device. In this case it doesn't really matter if this is a motion controller or a measurement device, so better post your question to the LabVIEW forums instead of the Motion Control forums.

4. Don't expect someone to send you a direct email. The whole idea of a discussion forum is to allow all members of the community to contribute. This doesn't work at all with individual email communication.

Please follow these hints and there will be a very high chance, that you will get great support from the community.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jochen Klier

Message 9 of 9
(6,137 Views)