From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help selecting motion controller/drive/motor for seamless function as both motor and inductive (regenerative) brake

Hello, my name is North, Im new to this board Robot Happy I am a second year engineering student.

I need to specify a motion control system for a regenerative energy prototype. I need the servo motor to function as both a motor and a generator --regenerative brake/ inductive brake. Producing current is the ultimate goal, so this has to be the first criteria. The generator is the control, it controls a mass which is accelerated by external forces. I need the most variable back-torque (load) profile from the servo, while also being as efficient as possible in producing current. However I also need the servo to produce tourque, as a servo normally does.

There should be a smooth continuum from +100% (producing motion) to -100% (producing current) The accelerated mass is controlled by two servos, one for each direction of movement. The "motion" end of the spectrum acts as both inertia cancelling and positiong, in case you were wondering.

RPMs are low; 700 ish. Power in the area of 1 to 2 hp.

Specific NI product recomendations would be welcome! Then I can check them out in detail.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,347 Views)

Hello,

Without speaking with you directly about the different aspects of you motion system, it will be hard to provide specific recommendations. Information about our motion platforms can be found at ni.com/motion . If you have not contacted our sales department, I would encourage you to do so at ni.com/contact. This will allow you to get in touch with the appropriate people so that we can provide the most appropriate recommendations.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,318 Views)

Hi everyone,after i read the conversation it seems looks like as my final year project.. Currently, i'm just have my own idea to use labview software interface with arduino kit.I'm interested to do regenerative braking system .The motor will functioning as motor and turn to genarator ..but ,I dont know how to start my project..Do you have any guide or reference for me?? Kindly,need your help... very lost..Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,531 Views)