From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -70025 NIMC returnDataBufferNotEmpty error?

I have an NI motion board #7334 and I get this error message whenever I try to initialize the board in Measurement and Automation explorer and in LabView until I reboot the computer. This happens every time I let the system sit for a while and then attempt to use the software. It works if i reboot and initialize it through measurement and automation explorer right away. What should I do.

I tried using the Flush Return Data Buffer vi but it doesen't seem to help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,261 Views)
Hello.

The following is a thread that is similar related to this error:
Dev Exchange error 70025

The first suggestion with this error is to call the Flush Return Data VI before performing an initialization or a move. The important thing that is in the previous thread is the part about MAX being open when doing onboard programming.

It looks like you have a PCI-7334, which does not have the ability to do onboard programming or buffering at all. If this is the case then this error is strange. If you have a 7344, then the issue with onboard programming may be coming into play.

When you say the system 'sits,' is that whe
n you are performing moves, etc., or is this just when the board is sitting in the machine and no programs are accessing it?

To summarize, calling Flush Return Data Buffer.vi solved this problem for others with this ocassional issue. If this is not working for you, try calling the Read Communication Status Register.flx VI and check the CSR for troubleshooting purposes. I am curious whether the board is getting into a power-up reset state, or something of this nature.

If the problem persists, make sure that you are using the latest version of NI-Motion. Linked here is the driver download page for the current versions.

Regards,
Colin C.
Applications Engineering
Colin Christofferson
Community Web Marketing
Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,261 Views)
Hello Colin,

I do indeed have a 7334 board and this error is occuring pretty often. It seems to be random or when I run another vi and then the original vi again. What i meant by my computer just "sitting" is that i closed down all programs including LabView and then open the program again. LabView seems to give me error -70005, until I reboot the computer.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,261 Views)
As a workaround, I have attached a VI that resets the board (much like clicking the Reset Board button in MAX or rebooting your computer). You could probably call this, then an Initialize at the beginning of your VI and it might solve your problem.

Another thing to check is that you are cleaning up your resources. If you are in fact doing any kind of return buffer operations, etc, then you should call the Flush Return Data Buffer VI at the end of your program just to be safe.

I hope this will help.
Regards,
Colin C.
Applications Engineering
Colin Christofferson
Community Web Marketing
Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,261 Views)
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the file. I think this is the standard Flush Return Data Buffer.vi that I've tried using. It hasn't worked for me in the past but I will try ending any 7334 related program with this vi and see if that gives satisfactory results. Thanks for your help.

Roman
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,261 Views)

I get a "Error -70025 occurred at Read Home Input Status.vi" because the Return Data Buffer is not empty.

I searched for the Flush Return Data Buffer.vi in the Labview library but it is not there.

Where can I find it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,369 Views)

@mishka wrote:

I get a "Error -70025 occurred at Read Home Input Status.vi" because the Return Data Buffer is not empty.

I searched for the Flush Return Data Buffer.vi in the Labview library but it is not there.

Where can I find it?

Vision and Motion -> 73xx -> Advanced -> Flush Return Data Buffer.vi

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,280 Views)