Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPOS Control Using LabVIEW

I am developing a LabVIEW vi to control one EPOS 70/10 and 250W DC brushless motor.

I have downloaded the express vi's from the NI website and I am able to use them.

I use velocity mode in my LabVIEW vi, there are no errors. When I use the Highlight Execution setting the process bubbles pass through the VCS Move With Velocity.vi, however, the current does not rise and there is no motor movement.
I have tried to modify the Profile Position Demo to operate in velocity mode but that has failed. I have examined the demo vi in detail but I believe I may be missing something. The demo doesn't seem too complicated however I can't seem to modify the demo or even build a seperate VI wich operates in velocity mode. Could you please advise me on my project?

I am enclosing my modified Profile Position Demo, its called Epsilon_1.vi

Goals:

Short Term: Operate in velocity mode, input velocity and move with stated velocity.

Long Term: Operate in velocity mode, use three buttons to control the velocity, 100 rpm, 200 rpm, 300 rpm.

My Hardware:
EPOS 70/10 300583
250W brushless DC motor from Maxon
LabVIEW Version 9.0.1 (32 bit) with Real Time Module
NI USB-8473s USB/CAN interface

Thank you for your time.

George

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(10,691 Views)

Hi George,

Try using a simpler VI to see if you can get current readings back from the same profile.  For example, try writing a VI that initializes, starts a velocity move, then reads current and stops everything.  That will tell us whether the problem is in the Driver VIs or in the actual code you have.

For other people's info, the Instrument Drivers are here:  Maxon Motor EPOS2 Instrument Driver

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(10,654 Views)

Thanks Kyle

-Ciao 😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(10,506 Views)

Hello,

I'm trying to communicate with a motor maxon with Labview via EPOS 2 24/5, and I want to understand how I can change the velocity of the motor. However, there are many options into EPOS library. I have no idea how I can program it.

George, did you reach your objective ?

Jerome

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(10,194 Views)

Good Morning Jerome,

Try looking at this Knowledge Based Article from our website:

Program a Maxon EPOS Motion Controller Using LabVIEW

This should teach you some of the basics to begin controling your EPOS2 24/5.

Thanks and have a great day!

Ricky

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(10,162 Views)

(Bold --> VIs from EPOS library for LabVIEW)

• Open the device (VCS Open Device.vi / VCS Set Protocol Stack Settings.vi / GetAxis.vi)

• Configure the driver for Profile Velocity Mode or Velocity Mode (VCS Set Operation Mode.vi / VCS Activate Profile Velocity Mode.vi or VCS Activate Velocity Mode.vi)
  • Configure the profile if Profile Velocity Mode (VCS Set Velocity Profile.vi)
  • If needed, change the gains of the current and velocity regulators (VCS Set Current Regulator Gain.vi / VCS Set Velocity Regulator Gain.vi)
  • Enable the driver (VCS Set Enable State.vi)
  • Set the target velocity (VCS Move With Velocity.vi for the Profile Velocity Mode and VCS Set Velocity Must.vi for Velocity Mode)
  • Stop the movement...

• Close the device (GetKeyHandle.vi / VCS Close Device.vi)

See attached documents, downloaded here, for further help.

Message 6 of 8
(10,151 Views)

Hello, I installed the driver and put the file in the instr.lib directory,. But when I open the epos library, is gives the error : there is a problem sending command to the program. Do you know what could be the problem?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,689 Views)

Try the solutions mentioned in the link below. This sounds like a Windows related error. This forum has solved the issue for other LabVIEW users in this thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/there-was-a-problem-sen...

Have a great day,

Aaron Douglass
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,674 Views)