From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Read DAC.flx value

Hi!

I am currently working on a piece of software in which the user can input (amongst other settings) Torque and Force limits - these are continuously checked during the movement periods using Read DAC.flx. The part which is causing me a problem is understanding how to convert the obtained value to the units requested by the client. These are; Pound Force (force limit) for the linear movement and Inch Pound Force (torque limit) for the rotation movement.

I am using DC Servo Motors (BE342HQ by Parker) with Aries Drives.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,934 Views)

Hello,

I am Ed from National Instruments Applications Engineering. I have researched somewhat into your query for which I am happy to assist you with.

Thus far from what I have found it suggests that the methodology to calculate torque is through some mathatical arithmetic with the current, voltage and a torque constant. Thus in order to assist you I have some further questions regarding your application:

What version of Motion are you currently using?

Could you please provide a datasheet for the Motor, many motors have the prefix model alphanumeric code BE342HQ?

What NI Hardware is in use in this system?

What feedback is provided to the NI Hardware regarding torque if any, such as analog or encoder?

With the above I should be able to provide a mathematical methodology for calculating the Torque and Force in N/m which can then be converted to the required units.

I hope that this is helpful and you are successful in your application.

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,901 Views)

Hi Ed,

Here is the information as requested,

Thank you for the reply!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,884 Views)

You are missing something.  You want to use a linear force limit, but you have only provided information for rotary torque.  You must have some device to convert rotary motion to linear motion.  What is that?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,866 Views)

Hi,

Of course. I have left out the Parker Linear Staging Table with 5mm Ballscrew. The actual table configuration is as detailed below,

Stage Table Set-up.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,862 Views)