Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling a Stepper Motor with LabVIEW

@mikedimou424 wrote:

I am a graduate student in University of Peireus in Greece , my teacher want to create a project with 3 controlling stepper motors (3 axis x,y,z ) to  get airborne measurement of an air tunnel  , also he want to control the steppers motors with labview specifically with coordinates x , y , z . I have no idea about the programming for this kind , so I want your help because I am helpless in this project . If I success in this project I will get my degree.

So far you have asked the same question in three different old threads. Please keep it all in one place. Thanks!

I would recommend that you start a new thread explaining what kind of help you need. Is this a quistion about hardware or about programming? Do you already have the stepper motor hardware and are just looking for a way to control them or are you looking for advice on stepper motors and controllers? What kind of programming experience do you have?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(5,792 Views)

hi every body

Im a rooky and i'm trying to use PCI 7350 with NI Motion to control a stepper motor toward an SMD 103 stepper driver.

can anyone help me to start using theses objects?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(5,544 Views)

Hey mievirus,

That's not a drive NI sells so you're unlikely to find any sort of golden Getting Started documentation, but at first glance it seems to connect similarly to our SMD devices. You can find a Getting Started guide using an SMD with a 73XX motion controller here:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376095a.pdf

Hope this helps!

Tanner B.
Systems R&D Engineer - Aerospace, Defense, and Government
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(5,530 Views)

Hello everybody

I want to control 2 stepper motors using a cRIO system. Hardware: Ni cRIO 9024 + NI 9512 + external motor from ec motion with driver ECMD 242 (no encoder) 

I connected the driver to the NI 9512 37-Pin Terminal Block as followed:
Ready +               Drive Enable
Ready -                COM
Pulse +                 Step +
Pulse -                  Step –
Dir +                      Direction +
Dir -                       Direction –

In my LabView Project I added 2 axis and configured them. Now as I try to test my set up using the Interactive Test Panel I receive the Massage: “NI SoftMotion:  The specified device was not detected”

Since I have no experience with LabView or cRIO (I only read some Getting Started Papers and did the tutorials) I don’t know what is my fault. Please help me to find it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(5,198 Views)

Do you have the 9512 set in scan interface mode along with FPGA code? I've seen that error commonly occur when the 9512 module is not set correctly for Hybrid mode. The following resource goes over how to do so.

How Do I Use the 951x Series Motion Modules in a Hybrid Configuration on my CompactRIO?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/12287236ED86B789862576630059572C?OpenDocument

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(5,165 Views)

Hi,

I am a graduate student and very new to LABVIEW. We want to develop a LabVIEW program which can take control of the stepper motor (dcb241). This stepper motor is inbuild in digital scanning mini monochromator. We want to build a VI so that we can choose particular wavelength we want from monochromator by appropriately controlling a stepper motor parameters. I am not sure, how to send a command to the motor? How should I can choose the particular wavelength (say 500nm) coming out from monochromator by controlling stepper motor parameters?  

Attach is the DCB2000 motor manual

I have also attached a rough VI

any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(3,748 Views)

Hi I am a graduate student and very new to LabVIEW environment. I want to build a LabVIEW program to control the stepper motor which is inbuild in scanning digital mini monochromator. To get the desired wavelength(say 500nm) from the monochromator how should I control the stepper motor? And what kind of commands should be given to control motor precisely? How should I know by moving motor through certain steps gives particular wavelength? Is there any formula?

I have attached the manuals of the stepper motor I am using(dcb241) and the rough LabVIEW code.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(3,746 Views)

abdevillers:

There is plenty of information in your documentation to control your stepper.  Using the typical defaults of 9,600 baud and 8-N-1 using hardware flow control will allow you move the stepper using the given commands.

As you do not have any documentation for the monochromator, run some design of experiments.  See the frequency produced at the stepper origin.  Step it once in the positive direction (origin + 1) and twice in the negative (origin - 1) and see how it affects the frequency.  If the steps are too small to record a difference, keep increasing the step size by a factor of 2 until differences are noted.  Now figure how to achieve your desired frequency by stepping away from the origin f(x) = (delta f / delta steps).

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(3,718 Views)

Hi, I don't know this is a right place to ask, but I have some question for controlling a stepper motor as well.

I have a CD-rom stepper motor and motor drive is L298n from Seeedstudio. I want to drive this motor with DAQmx using USB-6001. I have no idea what I have to do. Firstly, can I control this motor with what I have? Is this motor run by pulse or voltage? I am so desperate.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(2,953 Views)