Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control a VFD via cDAQ 9178

Hi!

I want to control a Variable frequency driver through the cDAQ-9178.

I got an analog input module NI 9201,analog output module NI 9263 and digital output module NI 9472.

I have never connected analog modules and digital modules together and was wondering if anyone could help me. How do you connect a my VFD to these inputs and outputs?

I have attached the connection diagram for my VFD

I would like to add a knob to control the frequency via labview so i can increase/decrease the speed and also turn it ON/Off.

I know this is possible solution, but I don't really know how to wire it up to my VFD.

If I succeed with the wiring to my modules, could I then use DAQ- assistant in labview to wire a knob to it to change the speed for an example, or is there another way to do it?

Best Regards - Maurlind!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,617 Views)

Hi maurlind

Could you please let me know what VFD you are using exactly? This will allow me to do some more research on exactly what you need to wire.

In addition, DAQ-assistant can be used for the application you are interested in.

Best regards

Menelaos.K

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,581 Views)
Oh sorry,forgoted to mention that earlier. The VFD is called rvfcd20220.

Best regardas Maurlind!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,578 Views)

Hi Maurlind,

I will continue doing some research for you on your enquiry, but as your main problem is what needs to be connected to each of rvfcd20220 pins then you should talk to the manufacturer of the VFD you have and confirm with them what needs to be connected to each of the pins.

Once you have that cleared I would be more than happy to help you out with connecting everthing to your cDAQ.

Best regards

Menelaos.K

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,544 Views)

Thank you Menelaos.K !

I will contact my manufacturer as soon as possible.

It shouldn't be any problem for them to point out what needs to be connected, since I have all the basic modules needed for a VFD.

Best regarda Maurlind!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,529 Views)

Turns out that the VFD that was ordered was called SKCD200220 (size C)

Se attchment for basic  manual

Best Regards Maurlind!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,520 Views)

Turns out that the VFD that was ordered was called SKCD200220 (size C)

Se attchment for basic  manual

Best Regards Maurlind!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(6,520 Views)

Hi Maurlind,

Thank you for this manual, it was really helpful in order to understand more with what you are working with.

Based on what I can understand from this manual,

T1 0V common

T2 Analog input 1 (A1), either voltage or current

T3 +10 V reference output

T4 Analog input 2 (A2), either voltage or digital input

T5&6 Status relay - Drive ok (Normally open)

B1 Analog voltage output - Motor speed

B2 +24 V output

B3 Digital output - Zero speed (or digital input)

B4 Digital Input - Enable/Reset*/**

B5 Digital Input - Run Forward**

B6 Digital Input - Run Reverse**

B7 Digital Input - Local/Remote speed reference select (A1/A2)

You can find more information about each port in the manual in page 19.

Now that we have established what needs to be connected on each of the ports, we could take a look at each of the cRIO modules you have available. Below I have added some links for you with the data sheets for each of the modules which shows what each port provides for you.

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-184/lang/en

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-59/lang/en

http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-126/lang/en

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Good luck in your application

Best regards

Menelaos.K 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,502 Views)

Hi!

Could you take a look at my wiring, (se attached picture). I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly before I'm plugging in and starts messing around with LabView.

I don't know where to put T3 +10v reference output. 

Should I connect B3 instead of B2 Vsup, (Voltage supply).  I don't know what "NC" stands for or what it does on the modules NI 9263 and NI 9201

As far as I have understood, I can control the frequency from the VFD by making a DAQ assistant function via the analog outputs AO0 and AO1. 

What does B1 do? It is Analog output (motor speed), if wired to AI0 can i monitor the speed then, like in a graph?

Can I connect as i have done with T1 (0volt, ground) to the COM ports, from the same ground? (In reality just put a lot of cables in T1 and the connect to all of the corresponding COM ports? 

With the analog output I control the motors frequecny, the speed. With Analog input I can get the motor speed information. With the digital output I can control the motor direction, start stop, enable the VFD and so on. This i have got right I think.

Since I have never done this before I just want to be sure I'm doing this right, or if I have to change something.

Best Regards Maurlind!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,486 Views)

Hi Maurlind,

You did a good job on the wiring. Based on the manufacturers manual it seems correct. Regarding your first question, NC stands for not connected.

The only terminals I believe have to be changed are T3 and T4 as they are just references to T1 and T2 so unless you need to use it with a different reference they do not need to be connected.

B2 is a power supply and as the cRIO does not need to be powered by the VFD I believe you do not need to wire it anywhere. B3 produces an output therefore it needs to be connected to an input channel, AI.

Regarding your final question on whether you can control the motor speed through the AO lines, this is something that you will need to confirm with the manufacturers of the VFD you are using as I am not an expert in their specific hardware. In addition, it would be a good idea to ask them about the wiring on their hardware as they might require something different to what we are providing as we were just connecting according to our understanding of their manual.  

Best of Luck in your application.

Menelaos.K

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,474 Views)