cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Stepper Motor with NI USB-6009

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to create a motion control system using a dual motion actuator

http://www.haydonkerk.com/LinearActuatorProducts/StepperMotorLinearActuators/DualMotionLinearActuato...

and two bipolar chopper drives (See attached) which should supply power to the motor. We already have a NI USB 6009 in our lab so I was wondering if I could use it to send the signals to the two drivers to control the speed and direction of each axis on the motor?

The attached driver manual states that the input signals must be 0-5 V DC (TTL logic). I have been told by the motor distributor that the 0-5 V DC TTL signals the drivers required, are analogue. From reading the NI USB 6009 manual there are two 0-5 V analogue outputs on the usb daq so I could supply two of the signals?

There are often similar problems posted however it is usually a digital signal that the NI6009/6009 is sending to the driver. From looking at the driver manual, can anyone tell whether an analogue signal or required like i've been told, or I have been misinformed and a 0-5V DC signal will be sufficient. I can get in further contact with the distributor if there are any questions you guys think I should ask him.

Thanks in advance for any help! It is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,318 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bsia5466

I've looked through the manual, and it doesn't seem to be very clear. I know that the USB-6009 is capable of both AO and DO, so you would be fine either way. I might contact Haydon Kerk's support to get concrete clarification on the discrepancy between what the manual says and what they told you.

Message 2 of 3
(5,286 Views)

Hello, 
I am working with a bi-polar stepper motor and using l298n motor driver along with NI USB 6009. My goal is to control the rpm of the stepper motor. I have done a labview code for controlling DC motor but cannot run the stepper motor. 
I will be very glad if you could help me with the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,661 Views)