Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Stepper Motor & Read from torque transducer & Encoder using USB 6008

Hi All,

I am new to labview and have a problem setting up a VI for a college project. I want to control a 2 phase Bi-polar stepper motor (see datasheet attached) via a L298N driver (see attached) but I also need to read two voltage signals from a Torque Transducer (Transducer Techniques RTS-50) and take a signal from an Encoder (Nemicon OMS-T). I have a USB-6008. Is it possible to do all this using the USB-6008 alone?

I have read through other posts and it seems I need to create a pulse train to control the stepper, but I dont know how. 

Can anyone help or advise me on what approach to take?

Also attached is a .jpeg of the L298n driver.

Best Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,224 Views)

Attached is a are two VIs I hope will work for the torque transducer and encoder but I have no idea how to to go about controlling a stepper motor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,222 Views)

Hi Dave,

My name is Dave and I am an Applications Engineer at National Instruments.

Stepper motors are controlled by series of digital pulses, to do this you would ideally want a counter to generate the pulse train. On the 6008 there is only a simple counter that you are unable to generate an external output from. As the 6008 has software timed digital I/O the only way to generate a change in the value of the digital output is with the digital write function in the software program.

It is possible that you could control your stepper motor using this approach if your only hardware option is to use the 6008, to start with I would use one of our Digital Pulse examples that can be found in the LabVIEW Example Finder>> Hardware Input and Output>> DAQmx>> Generating Digital Pulses.

If you have a budget available for more hardware then I would recommend looking at some of our Motion Control Hardware.

I hope that this helps you to make a start on this project.

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,209 Views)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice, I'm afraid the motion control hardware would be out of the question in terms of my budget.. I have managed to set up a system where the stepper is controlled via a microcontroller and labview just tells it to turn on or off.

Best regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,193 Views)

Actually I'm facing this problem as well. I'm using USB-6008, and wish to control the unipolar 6 wire lead, 1.8 deg/step stepper motor.

I do not really concern about the frequency/speed of the motor, what I wish for is the motor performs one rotation (360 degree) at particular interval time.

I have get readied with LM298, yet I'm unable to construct any working vi for it.

Appreaciate for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,060 Views)