cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Yaskawa Sigma FSP Motor Drive With UMI-7774 and PCI-7344

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

i have PCI-7344 and UMI-7774  that i want to connect to this Servo motor drive of Yaskawa.

1)  How do i know if this motor drive is compatible with the pci-7344 and umi7774 ?

for example:  inside the UMI manual is written that the Motor drive must support "Sinusoidal Commutation"

i look indside the Motor Drive manual and i dont found anything about this.

this is link to the motor drive: 

http://www.yaskawa.com/site/products.nsf/products/Servo%20Amplifiers~fspsigma.html 

http://www.yaskawa.com/site/products.nsf/products/Servo%20Amplifiers~fspsigma.html?openDocument&seq=...

2)  How do i connect the feedback and control lines  from the UMI to the Motor drive?

i'll appreciate any help including posting a link to a tutorial that helps to understand the signals from the motor drive and the encoder

And also the umi-7344  (Phase A,  Phase B, Hall sensor, inhibit, Fault, etc... )

Some powerpoint or Pdf tutorial that National instruments provide will help as well.

P.S.  i read the manual of the UMI-7774 and the pci7344 manual, but i'm yet not understand what i need to do

in order to configure my motion system :

PCI-7344  , UMI-7774  ,  Motor Drive (Sigma FSP Yaskawa) ,  Servo Motor (Yaskawa)

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Moti

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,334 Views)

Dear Moti,

1) The 733x, 734x, or 735x  (through a UMI) should be compatible with the Sigma FSP from Yaskawa. You have to use these controllers in P-command mode when using servos with the Simga FSP, because the drive closes the feedback loop. Use stepper mode for stepper motors.

Check out this Knowledgebase for more details:  

What is the difference between the PCI-7390 and the PCI-733x? 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5E464CE52E92F3758625723E000EE9E5?OpenDocument 

2) Along with the document below, your motor and drive documentation should have good descriptions of the signal connections needed.

Configuring a Motion Control System 

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3126

Axis Configuration for Motion Controllers

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3899

Best Regards,

~Nate 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,314 Views)

Dear Nate,

Thank you for repling to my posts, i really appreciate that.

The links you provide is very helpfull.

i'm enginner in my education, but not in this area (i'm information systems eng.)

i decided that i need to learn more about it (ni-imaq, ni-motion, line-scan camera, servo, servo drives, encoder signals, motion i/o, umi, pci7344, etc..)

So, i download the manual and help files that is needed to my application i want to build

(high speed machine vision of color line-scan camera connected to motion with rtsi synchronization and also digital i/o)

and now i'm reading ALL this, its huge amount to read, and not all the thing i understand in the begining (english is not my lang..)

Thanks again for the replies.

Best Regards,

Moti

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,309 Views)

Dear Moti,

I'm glad the information was useful, and good luck with your application! It sounds like you are well on your way.

Best Regards,

~Nate 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,293 Views)

Dear Nate,

you wrote in your last reply that i'll want to set my servo drive (Yaskawa sigma fsp) to work in P-Command mode.

Is it must to configure this mode for using linescan camera synchronized with encoder pulse  ?

Thanks,

Moti

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,264 Views)

Daer Moti, 

I was pointing out that you should set your Controller (PCI-733x, 734x, or 735x model) to P-command mode when using servos with the Simga FSP, because the drive closes the feedback loop. Because the drive closes the feedback loop, you don't want to try to close it with the controller as well.

What is P-command Mode? 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/63D4D7925CE63794862571EA007C5363?OpenDocument

Have a good one!

~Nate 

Anita B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,234 Views)

Opps,

Disregard the change in user for that last post. I was still logged it to complete tasks on a completely unrelated part of our website and forgot to switch back to my user account before replying.

~Nate 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,225 Views)

Dear Nate,

i allready read about the P-Command mode, its ok now i understand it.

i still looking for How to Connect Yaskawa Sigma FSP Motor Drive to the UMI-7774 and PCI-7344,

and didnt find anything about this.

BUT, i found that the PCI7390 manual that is P-Command controller have the wiring diagram to the yaskawa sigma 2.

So, i finnaly got a good start, so i'll try it by myself, and read more and more manuals until i get it....

The target is to synchronize betweencolor line-scan camera to the pci-7344 motion controller.

i have document on the setting i do and how i want to configure the system (Trigger each line, using Breakpoint to start the image aquasition,etc...)

Please send me your email if you can so i can send to you the document,

i'll be gratefull if you take a look on it and just tell me if i'm in the right way.....

motimor@gmail.com

Thanks,

Moti

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,222 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author M0Reng

Dear Moti,

At this point I recommend that you contact National Instruments for support here.  You can send in an email request and once a support engineer has replied, you can attach your document. Make sure to categorize your request as vision or motion related, and I or one of the members of my group will be able to help you further.

Best Regards,

~Nate 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,200 Views)

Dear  ~Nate,

You are the Best!!!

i needed the confidence that i'll get support about National Instruments products, Vision and Motion.

i'll contact the ni support.

Thanks for all the help and replies here.

Moti

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,195 Views)