From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication with Festo CMMO-ST (how to TCP)

Hello,

As the subject says, I'm trying to connect and 'talk' with a motor controller from festo (CMMO-ST-C5-1-DIOP).

I'm using the TCP protocol, and am supposed to send bytes to the controller.

While I'm sure the connection to the controller is established, I'm completely at a loss if I'm sending instructions in the right format.

This document show examples on how to issue commands to the controller and read responses, but I don't understand what format to use.

For example, the document states: 

So the following bytes have to be sent to the CMMO via Ethernet (in Hex):

10 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 03 00

The connection is obtained, but however I format the above bytes, I get no response from the controller.

I have included the simple VI I'm using to send/receive the TCP instructions, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to format my message. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome as well - I need all the help I can get 😉

All I really want, is to get some kind of response from the controller - even an error would be great.

Thanks,

Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(10,839 Views)

Hi Tobias, 

Welcome to the forums. I haven't had chance to look at your VI yet but I found a resource on how to control a Festro Controller with LabVIEW and Modbus TCP - 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C3D8E30CF992B8CD86256FC8001CA598?OpenDocument

If you could read through and try out this implementation to see if you get a response from the controller that would be great. 

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(10,737 Views)

were you ever successful gettig this to work???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(10,485 Views)

Hi Lucas, and thanks for the tips.

I did try it out, and I *think* I managed to set up communication with the drive.

Still, figuring out which bits to send through was a pain in the back, and with a looming deadline we decided to go oldschool and use the physical IO pins.

I have attached what little code I made. It's VERY simple, but it's there for what it's worth.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(10,474 Views)
You didn't attach any code, just the project file.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(10,462 Views)

Silly me. Was in a bit of hurry.

Here it all is, not much at all.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(10,449 Views)

Version 14. any change of going back a version to 13

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(10,442 Views)

Hey,

I've saved it for you in LabVIEW 13. Hope it helps!

Best,

Bozhidar

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(10,423 Views)

The link does not work. Can you check it and post it again?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(9,789 Views)

The link does not work. Can you check it and post it again?

You mean the link in the post above yours? It works fine for me.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(9,778 Views)