Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication with Festo CMMO-ST (how to TCP)

Hello,

As the subject says, I'm trying to connect and 'talk' with a motor controller from festo (CMMO-ST-C5-1-DIOP).

I'm using the TCP protocol, and am supposed to send bytes to the controller.

While I'm sure the connection to the controller is established, I'm completely at a loss if I'm sending instructions in the right format.

This document show examples on how to issue commands to the controller and read responses, but I don't understand what format to use.

For example, the document states: 

So the following bytes have to be sent to the CMMO via Ethernet (in Hex):

10 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 03 00

The connection is obtained, but however I format the above bytes, I get no response from the controller.

I have included the simple VI I'm using to send/receive the TCP instructions, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to format my message. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome as well - I need all the help I can get 😉

All I really want, is to get some kind of response from the controller - even an error would be great.

Thanks,

Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(10,847 Views)

Hi Tobias, 

Welcome to the forums. I haven't had chance to look at your VI yet but I found a resource on how to control a Festro Controller with LabVIEW and Modbus TCP - 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C3D8E30CF992B8CD86256FC8001CA598?OpenDocument

If you could read through and try out this implementation to see if you get a response from the controller that would be great. 

Kind Regards,
Lucas
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(10,745 Views)

were you ever successful gettig this to work???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(10,493 Views)

Hi Lucas, and thanks for the tips.

I did try it out, and I *think* I managed to set up communication with the drive.

Still, figuring out which bits to send through was a pain in the back, and with a looming deadline we decided to go oldschool and use the physical IO pins.

I have attached what little code I made. It's VERY simple, but it's there for what it's worth.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(10,482 Views)
You didn't attach any code, just the project file.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(10,470 Views)

Silly me. Was in a bit of hurry.

Here it all is, not much at all.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(10,457 Views)

Version 14. any change of going back a version to 13

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(10,450 Views)

Hey,

I've saved it for you in LabVIEW 13. Hope it helps!

Best,

Bozhidar

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(10,431 Views)

The link does not work. Can you check it and post it again?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(9,797 Views)

The link does not work. Can you check it and post it again?

You mean the link in the post above yours? It works fine for me.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(9,786 Views)