Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication between Labview and PIC

Hi,

I want to send commands from the Labview to a PIC micro controller that should control a tracker (to turn a motor right or left, etc.). I would like to know what are the options to implement this. I thought about using the NI VISA, but it requires a USB protocol for the PIC. But I heven't implemented any communication protocol... Does somebody recommend a library that I can use? Or if somebody has another idea I would be happy to read it! 😃

Thank you very much,

Lara.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,077 Views)

Do you need to use a PIC for sure? Another option is to use an ARM instead, because it is more integrated with LabVIEW (See ARM Module).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,058 Views)

Hi urakhai911,

You can communicate with your PIC via USB protocol using NI-VISA. Please refer to this link:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4478/en

Carmen C.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 3 of 8
(9,050 Views)

Yes, I do need to use the PIC because the board is already ready... I can't change it anymore...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,042 Views)

I already saw this possibility, but the problem is that I need a communication protocol, and my PIC is not ready for that... Do I have to build one myself? Is there some library that I can use?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,041 Views)

Sorry I am just starting to use Labview, so this question will probably seem a little confusing... Please help to figure it out...

I notice that I can't use an USB cable to do the communication because the distance between the computer and the board is too large (I am sorry to mention before that I would an USB cable...)

Now, I will use one Xbee connected to the board and another xbee connected with the computer through an Ethernet cable (I already have this huge Ethernet cable that I can use). The two xbee will communicate with each other.

But I dont know how I am supposed to read the informations in Labview using the ethernet cable...

I searched in the internet and apparently I can use the LabView VISA serial port VI to send/receive data to a serial device. But how can I acquire the information coming from the Ethernet cable? Here in the lab I have the MyDaq, maybe I could use it... I don't know...

I am trying to figure out how I will make this connection, but my problem is that I don't know how to connect the xbee to the labview using a ethernet cable...

Thank you very much!

I am looking forward to some tips! ahuhauha

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,025 Views)

urakhai911,

I found this library for you, please refer to this link: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4756

Regards,

Carmen C.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,012 Views)

if you want to send commands between the computer and the microcontroller is recommended to use VISA and serial communication, computers now come with USB ports and you must purchase a USB-Serial adapter, this is only if you want to send commands, on the other hand if you want to send data high-speed USB is your best option

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(8,420 Views)