Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVS1458RT, EtherCAT 9144, Softmotion

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Just wanted to confirm.

I want to use a 9263 analog output and a 9411 diff channel installed on an EtherCAT 9144 châssis.

I then want to use a CVS 1458RT and use Softmotion RT loop to control those. (similar to exemple : Servo Interface (9263 & 9401 & 9411))

The difference is that the EtherCAT FPGA I/O are not accessible like the example.

Is is possible? How? Using user-defined Variables instead of the FPGA reference Write property node?

Thank you,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,326 Views)

Hey Paubine,

I believe that you may have to use the user-defined variables as you suspected. I'm going to look into this a bit more to find if I can find any documentation outlining that.

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,301 Views)

Paubine,

Here is a page discussing when you need to use User-Defined Variables with a 9144. Also the second link gives some more information about using EtherCAT slaves with a master cRIO. 

Can I Program the FPGA on the NI 9144 EtherCAT Expansion Chassis?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9FB521DCA1F6F6918625752400705194

Programming EtherCAT I/O With FPGA Intelligence

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10618/en/

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,272 Views)

I began changing all reference to fpga to the userdefined variable... testing soon.

I wanted to know if it was possible and if someone already did that.

Thank you.

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,267 Views)

Hey Patrick,

Let me know how the test goes. I'm not sure if there are any examples for reference, but you might be able to find an example in LabVIEW's example finder that does this.

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,240 Views)

Yes sure, I can give the example when it will work but for now I'm stuck with this simple error : 

Shared Variable in test.vi<APPEND>
This error or warning occurred while reading the following Shared Variable:
\\NI-CVS-1458RT-01A7E085\EtherCAT Slave\Device\User-Defined Variables\Encoder Position
\\169.254.193.10\EtherCAT Slave\Device\User-Defined Variables\Encoder Position

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,212 Views)

Is the message you're getting with that error "The variable does not exist because the master, slave, or module handle is invalid. Check the name of master, slave, or module."? That was the message I was able to find from searching for your error. I would double check that you're referring to everything with the proper names. 

I've found some old issues where this error popped up and was fixed by flashing the firmware on your chassis. See the link below for how to do this while retaining your user defined variables. 

How Can I Flash the NI-9144 EtherCAT Slave Chassis Firmware Programmatically and Retain My User Defined Variables?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DD7C7915067CC2028625797C0056E7D0?OpenDocument

In the past, if this hasn't worked, flashing one of the standard .FoE firmware files (NI-9144_rev2_6.foe has been mentioned) has resolved this error as well. 

Hope this works!

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,187 Views)

Thank you.

I right click on the fpga build under build specification and click "download", it solve the problem.

I will keep you inform about how it worked.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,182 Views)

Glad to hear! Let us know if it rears its head again!

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,168 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author paubine

Hi,

Finally, by replacing all FPGA reference by the user-defined variable, everything work properly.

I replaced all reference in both, FPGA VI and the RT VI with user-defined variable.

Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,086 Views)