Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied Motion ST5si vi

I have an Applied Motion ST5-si Stepper motor driver connected to a Ultra Motion Linear Drive (CALLED THE DIGIT) with a stepper motor. I have a few National Instruments CDAQ cards that have digital IO, the NI9401 is what I was trying to use to "run" the motor. I used Applied Motion Products ST configuration program to set up the driver for Pulse and Direction. I am struggling trying to be able to control Velocity, as well as acceleration and deceleration. I can only get the thing to move at a snails pace. I searched NI support and I can not find anyone that has any LabVIEW code to do this.

If I change the mode in the ST configurattion program configuration to Velocity mode, I am able to use labview to start and stop as well as change direction, but I need to be able to control and change as needed the acceleration/ deceleration and velocity with LabVIEW. PLEASE help anyone?

I am trying to create a bell curve profile to run the stepper motor that is connected to the linear actuator. (http://www.ultramotion.pth4.com/products/digit.php)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,818 Views)

Hi kcallen,

I was unable to get your link to work. How are you trying control the drive? With a pulse train output from the DAQ card? Do you have a manual for the ST5 that describes what inputs it accepts for the control? I also notice that the ST5 can be controlled via RS 232. Is this how you planning to control the motor through LabVIEW? Please attach any code that you currently have working to help us get a better understanding of what you are trying to do.

Regards,
Kira T

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,803 Views)

Hi,

You could use the SCL communication via Serial.

Here are some VI from the Applied Motion web site : http://www.applied-motion.com/news/2012/06/user-generated-files-ni-labview

Good Luck!

Olivier Beaudoin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,594 Views)

All those serial VI's look very familiar for some reason...................

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,585 Views)

Any chance one of you wrote the vi's for the Applied Motion website.  I have those but have been unable to get the controller to respond.  STAC6-S controller.  Any hints or tips would be appreciated.  Note that I can get the motor to respond using their configuration and programming utilities but not through labview.

Thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,405 Views)

I wrote the serial ones.  Have since done a lot with the Ethernet.  Are you able to open and close the com port in LabVIEW without any errors?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,400 Views)

Open and close without a problem.  I can send the commands without error but when I try to read the response, I get nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,395 Views)

Not sure which VI you are using, but try these ones.  Make sure you put these in a new folder, then open up the Get Position one.  You need to open and close the com port outside of this VI.

Message 8 of 11
(4,391 Views)

So I open the port, call the get position function, then close the port.  I'm getting a timeout error Error -1073807339.  I've attached the vi for reference

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,388 Views)

I believe I got it working.  It seems to come down to selecting the correct termination.  I used your open com port vi and am up and running.  Thank you for your support!

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,385 Views)